04-08-21-arthur-ross-gallery-fisher-fine-arts-library-kylie-cooper

1966 College for Women graduate Susan T. Marx will endow the Susan T. Marx Distinguished Lecture Series in perpetuity.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

The Arthur Ross Gallery received a $125,000 donation to perpetually endow a lecture series featuring prominent artists.

The donation was made by 1966 College for Women graduate Susan T. Marx to endow the Susan T. Marx Distinguished Lecture Series in perpetuity, Penn Today reported. Marx previously gifted $25,000 to establish the lecture series in 2015 with the goal of funding the project for five years. The series features lectures from prominent art world leaders and artists who “address timely issues in the arts,” Penn Today reported. The lectures will take place annually at the Arthur Ross Gallery in the Fisher Fine Arts Library or virtually. 

“We are grateful to Susan Marx for enabling us to continue inviting the Penn and greater Philadelphia communities to our fantastic Arthur Ross Gallery to explore the cross-disciplinary and cross-cultural connections made possible through art,” Penn President Amy Gutmann told Penn Today.

Marx is the CEO of S.T. Marx + Associates, which she founded in 1980. The company concentrates on private sector grant seeking for nonprofit organizations through development consulting, Penn Today reported. Over the past 41 years, Marx and her team have fundraised millions of dollars to support social service, health, education, and arts organizations.

Marx told Penn Today that her time at Penn inspired her love for art. 

“While a student at Penn, my exposure to art inspired my passion and my lifelong avocation as a sculptor and stone carver,” Marx said. “When we initiated the series, our goal was to share aspects of the art world with students, the University at large, and the outside community.”

Speakers at the lecture series have included Johnnetta B. Cole, David C. Driskell, Jaume Plensa, Liliana Porter, and William Kentridge. 

Arthur Ross Gallery Executive Director Lynn Marsden-Atlass told Penn Today she was grateful for the permanent endowment of the Susan T. Marx Distinguished Lecture Series. 

“On behalf of the Arthur Ross Gallery, I am delighted to celebrate this transformative gift that will continue to bring exceptional artists and museum professionals to campus for years to come,” Marsden-Atlass said.