9mm-sr1pm-pistol-tvm2012-014-2

The Annenberg Public Policy Center study found a correlation between the rise of gun violence in television dramas and an increase in firearm-related homicides in the United States. (Vitaly V. Kuzmin | CC BY-SA 4.0)

A study by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found that the rise in gun violence in television dramas parallels an increase in homicides caused by firearms in the United States.

The study, published on March 17 in PLOS ONE, found that gun use on prime-time television dramas in the United States increased significantly from 2000 to 2018. The increase correlated with a higher prevalence of gun use in United States homicides, suggesting that the depiction of gun violence on television may contribute to firearm-related homicides, according to the Annenberg Public Policy Center.

The study was authored by APPC research director Daniel Romer and director of the Annenberg Health and Risk Communication Institute Patrick E. Jamieson.

The researchers analyzed 1,476 hours of 33 popular TV dramas in the legal, medical and police genres from 2000 to 2018, including shows such as “NCIS,” “The Good Wife,” and “Grey’s Anatomy.” Each show was watched by trained research assistants, who looked for violence and gun use. Researchers then calculated the percentages for segments of each show in three categories: violence, gun use, and gun-related violence. 

According to the study, the amount of segments containing gun violence from the television shows sampled increased from 21.1% in 2000 to 33.3% in 2018. Instances of gun violence also rose from 4.5% in 2000 to 9.0% in 2018, researchers found. 

Researchers also observed the proportion of homicides attributed to firearms in three different age groups: 15-24, 25-34, and 35+. The strongest parallel between an increase in TV violence and firearm-related homicides was seen among people aged 15 to 24.

“We have to start considering whether Hollywood’s portrayal of gun violence in order to increase the excitement of its entertainment is actually contributing to the gun violence epidemic," Romer told APPC. 

Researchers concluded that the findings cannot show a causal relationship between gun violence on television and real-world gun violence, but contribute to the hypothesis that gun violence in the media contributes to the use of firearms, particularly among young people.

Further research is necessary to determine whether exposure to gun violence in media promotes the use of guns, APPC reported.

Philadelphia has seen a sharp increase in gun violence since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. Last Wednesday, city officials announced that 2021 is on track to be the deadliest year in homicides. At least 103 people have been murdered this year, and more than 380 people have been shot, WHYY reported.

In February, City Councilmember and Penn alumna Jamie Gauthier introduced a resolution that called on Major Jim Kenney to declare a citywide emergency on gun violence and take steps to address the issue.