wharton-academic-research-building-construction-001

Construction on the Wharton Academic Research Building is set to be completed by November 2020.

After a seven-week delay, construction of the Wharton Academic Research Building restarted on May 1. 

The Wharton Academic Research Building, a five-story structure at the corner of 37th and Spruce streets, was scheduled to be completed by August 2020. The project’s new completion date is November 2020 with a move-in date in early spring 2021, Facilities and Real Estate Services wrote in an email to The Daily Pennsylvanian on Tuesday.

On March 20, Governor Tom Wolf’s executive order halted all construction projects that were not considered “life-sustaining.” Construction was allowed to resume beginning on May 1 with specific new safety rules mandated by Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney. 

“Prior to the construction shutdown, the project was approximately 75% complete,” FRES wrote. “Production is now nearly back to pre-shutdown levels.” 

The Wharton Academic Research Building will be an academic hub with communal areas designed to promote socializing, group work, and interactive learning, as originally envisioned when construction began in spring 2018.

The building will include four floors of academic and research space, group study rooms, research centers, and shared conference rooms.