dsc01602
Credit: Sukhmani Kaur

The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is now the No. 2 pediatric hospital in America, according to U.S. News & World Report.

U.S. News announced the 2019-2020 Best Children’s Hospitals Honor Roll on Tuesday with CHOP at second, a rise from the No. 3 spot in last year’s ranking, according to Philly Voice. CHOP also earned the No. 1 spots in both Pediatric Diabetes and Endocrinology and Pediatric Gastroenterology and GI Surgery with perfect scores.

U.S. News awards ten hospitals that “deliver exceptionally high-quality care across multiple specialties.” The news site considers mortality and infection rates as well as clinical resources when deciding rankings.

Boston Children’s Hospital took the No. 1 spot for the sixth year in a row, also ranking best in the country for pediatric cancer, nephrology, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics, and urology according to Web MD

CHOP also placed second in the country in pediatric pulmonology & lung surgery and pediatric urology.

CHOP established the first pediatric hospital-based food bank and education center in West Philadelphia on Jan. 23. The hospital's Healthy Weight Food Pharmacy provides healthy foods and nutritional education for patients and their families. 

On June 2, CHOP’s Center for Fetal Diagnosis and Treatment gathered more than 2,500 people from over 24 states for the 23rd Annual Fetal Surgery Family Reunion. At the reunion, the center's patients reconnected with their clinicians and other families.