philadelphia-skyline
Credit: Sam Holland

Philadelphia was ranked the eighth most sinful city in the United States by WalletHub, a personal finance website, on the recently-released “2019’s Most Sinful Cities in America" list.

Las Vegas topped the list, followed by Los Angeles, New York, Houston, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Miami. Chicago and Orlando followed Philadelphia to round out the top ten. 

The study ranked 182 cities across America based on 37 evil deed indicators organized into seven categories — anger & hatred, jealousy, excesses & vices, greed, lust, vanity, and laziness. Points were awarded based on the prevalence of each evil deed, with a maximum overall score, or WalletHub Vice Index, of 100.

Philadelphia scored a WalletHub Vice Index of 51.23. The city ranked highest in "Anger & Hatred" and "Lust," placing seventh and 13th respectively. In the remaining categories, Philly placed 15th in "Excesses & Vices," 26th in "Vanity," 27th in "Laziness," 40th in "Greed," and 53rd in "Jealousy." 

Source: WalletHub

Eight indicators determine the "Anger & Hatred" category, including violent crimes per capita and hate-crime incidents per capita. According to an August 2018 Philadelphia Magazine article, Philadelphia’s hate incidents have more than doubled since 2016 based on data conducted by the Anti-Defamation League. The data indicates 19 hate incidents occurred in Philadelphia in 2016 and 42 in 2017. 

The "Lust" category is composed of four indicators, including adult entertainment establishments per capita and most active Tinder users. In 2015, The Grade ranked Penn ninth on their list of the best 25 colleges for online dating. Business Insider also ranked Penn as the Ivy League school with the “most attractive people” on Tinder in 2016.

This is not the first time Philly has been deemed worthy of sinful praise: in 2016, real estate company Trulia ranked Philadelphia as the nation's third most sinful city.