Both Penn baseball and softball had planned to resume play after a productive spring break but Mother Nature had other plans.

Penn baseball’s matchup at Villanova and Penn softball’s doubleheader against Lehigh at Penn Park were postponed on Wednesday, and no makeup date has been announced for either game.

Penn softball (4-7) had begun its first game of the day against the Mountain Hawks but the rain washed away the Red and Blue's ugly start. The Quakers had surrendered seven runs in the first inning, forcing coach Leslie King to change pitchers.

When the game was called in the second inning, the Red and Blue were down, 10-3, with their Ivy League and Big 5 Player of Week, freshman Leah Allen , at the plate. At this point, the rain may have started to affect Lehigh’s pitchers, who issued two walks to the Quakers before the postponement. Furthermore, puddles had begun to form on the field, creating hazardous conditions that forced the umpires to cancel the rest of play.

The Red and Blue have nine consecutive home games scheduled, beginning with a doubleheader at Penn Park this Sunday against St. Joseph’s .

Penn baseball (2-9) , on the other hand, didn’t start its game and will hold its season opener on Saturday against Lafayette . The Quakers have back-to-back doubleheaders against the Leopards this weekend .

The Red and Blue have yet to play a home game under new coach John Yurkow , playing one series against Dallas Baptist before spring break and eight games against a variety of opponents over break .