11112010_manvsfood_host0019
The host Man v. Food speaks at the Penn Bookstore. Credit: Alexandra Fleischman

In true foodie fashion, Adam Richman, host of Man v. Food on the Travel Channel, kicked off his lecture Thursday with a feast of salty, greasy chicken.

On Thursday night, over 250 food enthusiasts of all ages and places convened at the Penn Bookstore to see Adam Richman promote his new book, America the Edible: A Hungry History, from Sea to Dining Sea. Richman’s new book tells of his experiences and origins in the food industry and includes addresses of especially tasty eateries he has come across as well as the histories of other specific foods.

Though the event started 30 minutes late due to Richman getting lost in Philadelphia, the audience remained patient.

Richman began the event by retracing his childhood passion for food. “My first time tasting Italian food, Greek food, Indian food was when I was in my friends’ grandmothers’ houses,” Richman said. “They were immigrants not making much money, but their food brought them together.”

To Richman, food is more than just a savory indulgence. It is a means of penetrating cultural barriers and forging identities and customs. “Each and every dish that you eat is part of your DNA; it’s your signature.”

While still only a college student in Atlanta, Richman kept a diary relating his experiences and reactions for different foods from different restaurants. “Food was a departure for me to understand people and appreciate the universality of each separate dish that we eat,” Richman said.

Amidst the cheers and liveliness of the audience, Richman stressed the importance of looking past the mere item on the plate and understanding the power and prevailing nature of food through wars, conflicts and many centuries.

“I’ve always believed food has potential to be a kickass thing. But I also hope your love for it inspires each and every one of you to have and appreciate every one of your food experiences and adventures.”

At the end of the event, the audience was very excited and cheerful. “He’s simply awesome,” Engineering freshman Nishant Neel said. “I never knew he was such a deep guy.”

America the Edible: A Hungry History, from Sea to Dining Sea is currently on sale at the Penn Bookstore.