10162010_pakistanfloodreliefbanquet0004
Pakistan Flood Relief Banquet Credit: Jennifer Sun

When Wharton junior Faizan Khan returned home after studying in London for the summer, he was shocked to learn how affected his family in Pakistan was by the nation’s massive floods.

Khan, social development co-chairman of the Muslim Students Association, knew that something could be done at Penn to support the victims of the natural disaster. He joined with Umer Ali, a College senior and vice president of the Penn Pakistan Society, to help students get involved.

On Oct. 16, the PPS and MSA hosted a banquet in the Hall of Flags in order to raise money and awareness of the Pakistan floods. With a turnout of over 150 people, total donations amounted to $2,089.

UNICEF, the charity where the money will be donated, promised to match the donations collected from the night, doubling the amount raised to $4,178. Every dollar will go toward children’s support as well as medicine, water and vaccines for those affected in Pakistan.

Beginning in late July, floods came with the arrival of Pakistan’s annual monsoon season. According to the United Nations, approximately one-fifth of the country is currently submerged in water, affecting roughly 20 million people. The New York Times reports the death toll to be between 1,300 and 1,600 people.

With an estimated 13 million people impacted, the UN calls this the biggest humanitarian crisis it has witnessed.

“Knowing that the place I was born, where I took my first steps, that entire town was underwater was disheartening,” Khan said.

With relief support to Pakistan dwindling, Ali said he thought it was necessary to revitalize the efforts as long as possible. “Because of the stereotypes of Pakistanis as nothing but terrorists, this event is not being covered the way it should be. There is a lot more to Pakistan than what you hear on the news,” he said.

Spirit in the hall remained high as members from the Penn community and the larger Philadelphia area gave donations while socializing over traditional Pakistani food and learning about its culture.

“We are not here to mourn the deaths of so many people, but rather to set out hope for Pakistan’s future,” Ali said.

The PPS will be hosting another banquet in November to continue it support for the flood’s victims.