01182010_mwswimming0155
Senior Andrea Balint in the 200-yard individual medley on Saturday. She took first place in the event. Credit: Max Hass

Ivy season may be over, but the Penn women’s swimming team still has a few more nonconference obstacles to face before League championships begin.

Tonight at Sheerr Pool, the Quakers (3-4, 3-4 Ivy) will take on West Chester, a team they easily defeated last season, 180-120.

It’s a new year, however, and with it comes a much different West Chester squad. The Golden Rams are 6-0 this season in regular meets, and they placed third in the Cavalier Invitational at the beginning of December.

For the Red and Blue, repeating last year’s success may be easier said than done.

“Their women’s team is much better than they were last year,” Penn coach Mike Schnur said. “They are every bit as good as we are in just about every event.”

While Schnur believes his women have the advantage in both breaststroke events as well as the 200-yard backstroke, he is worried about some of the other races.

“Their number-one sprinter is faster than anybody we have,” he said. “Their number-one backstroker is faster than anybody we have.”

Although it has been a while since West Chester has been this competitive with Penn, the Golden Rams have consistently performed well in their conference over the past few years.

In addition to the sprints and relays, Schnur is also looking forward to the 200 fly, as the Rams’ best competitor, junior Erin Fisher, posted a similar time to that which Red and Blue freshman Melissa Parratto clocked last week.

Senior Andrea Balint is confident that her team is ready to take on any challenges the Rams pose, and sees the meet as great preparation for what’s to come.

“This is perfect to keep us competitive and keep us together as a team before we are done with meets,” Balint said, “as we have a month of pure training without any more meets until championships.”

Schnur echoed the senior’s statements, viewing tonight’s meet as a chance for the team to work on “the little things” — their relays, starts and quickness off the wall.

As they have yet to finalize their team for Ivy Championships, it will also be another opportunity for the women to showcase their individual talent.

An added level of excitement can be expected tonight as it will also be the team’s senior meet, a time when they will honor the Class of 2010 for all its contributions to the program.

“We have a great group of seniors that have been leaders on the team since I was a freshman,” junior Carey Stauder said.

“It will be really fun and exciting to honor them and all that they have accomplished in their four years here,” she added.