On Sunday, the Undergraduate Assembly did not pass any new proposals but did discuss recent work on the redesign of the Penn InTouch system and updated the body about the University's new policy for dealing with copyright infringement by students.

In its new policy, Penn will no longer act as a buffer between its students and the Recording Industry Association of America. While Penn previously met with students who had received complaints about illegal downloading, students who are served notices will now face the RIAA on their own.

Previously, the University asked those students to meet with the Office of Student Conduct. They will still pass letters between the RIAA and students.

"Penn was the number two file-sharing school in the country last year," said College sophomore and UA member Matt Amalfitano to show how serious the situation is.

He continued that while the RIAA is cracking down on uploading and downloading music as much as possible, it is very difficult to monitor file sharing that occurs within Penn's network using free software such as myTunes and Mojo.

Amalfitano said the University has made this decision and is "doing everything it can to maintain a balance between protecting its students and compliance [with the RIAA]."

College senior and UA volunteer member Anthony Maggio discussed some of the improvements to Penn InTouch students can expect by next year. He estimated the work was about 70 percent complete.

Amalfitano told the body that the recently-added course-search tool is "the predecessor to the system [Penn InTouch is] working on now," and that students can expect similar changes in the new system.

The meeting also included the Penn Student Government Spotlight section that showcased the Student Committee on Undergraduate Education. College and Wharton senior and SCUE chairman Zach Fuchs, College senior and SCUE treasurer Aaron Werner, and College senior, SCUE secretary and Daily Pennsylvanian columnist Ryan Benjamin briefed the body on SCUE's operations.

They said SCUE is working to develop a University-wide calendar, a University-wide interdisciplinary course that would be launched in Fall 2009, and a revamped Penn Course Review system.

Werner spoke about funding problems the wine-tasting preceptorial faces and said a meeting has been scheduled with the Vice Provost for University Life to discuss them.

College sophomore and UA member Alec Webley then briefed the body on the progress of the UA's new Web site. He met with a web designer and expects the new site to cost more than $1,000.