v9g75s43
Franklin Field, the nation's oldest college football stadium, has played host to 799 Penn football games. The Quakers have won 534 of those (and tied 31), good for a .689 winning percentage.

Franklin Field, the oldest operating football stadium in the nation, will reach a tremendous milestone when Dartmouth visits this weekend. Saturday will be the 800th Penn football game played there since the facility opened in 1895.

"I tell the kids all the time, we're just caretakers," said coach Al Bagnoli, who has led the Quakers to a 62-15 home record during his tenure. "There's been so many great coaches, great players, great moments here that we just feel lucky to be part of that kind of tradition."

While Bagnoli said that he doesn't give too much thought to the number's significance, he is impressed by the sheer amount of games played.

"When you really think about how many games have been played here, . that's amazing," he said. "A lot of programs haven't played 800 games period, never mind 800 home games."

Michigan Stadium, for instance, home to the Wolverines since 1927, just celebrated its 500th game.

Franklin Field's longevity is a testament to the exceptional home-field advantage it has provided Penn over the last century. At the 52,000-seat stadium - whose capacity once reached 78,000 - the Quakers are 534-234-31 all-time.

"I think there's a little bit of an intimidation factor," Bagnoli said. "A guy who's played at Bucknell - that stadium seats 12,000 - all of a sudden he comes to Franklin Field and he sees this place and he kind of looks around and says, 'Oh boy.'"

For the Quakers, history serves as an inspiration to succeed and a reflection of Ancient Eight significance.

"It's a unique place, and that's the beauty of the Ivy League - that there is a Franklin Field, and there is a Yale Bowl, and there is a Harvard Stadium," Bagnoli said. "They are some of the elite football venues that are really the birthplace of football."

Penn has tallied 22 undefeated seasons over the stadium's 113 years. Franklin Field has also played host to the Eagles, Army-Navy football and even Vince Lombardi's only career playoff loss, not to mention the Hollywood hits Invincible and Unbreakable.

Even the Red and Blue, who lack Bagnoli's long-term perspective, feel the pervasive sense of Penn's history.

"It's pretty cool that the stadium's been around that long," senior offensive lineman Chris Kovalcik said. "History and tradition have always been a big part of what we do here."

Senior linebacker Jay Colabella, a co-captain, added, "In the preseason, Coach has some of the old-timers come back and give us a little speech, and tell us what they think about Penn football, and what it was back in the day and what it should be now. And I know all the guys really appreciate that - to see people who are 80 years old now and still love the program."

Related StoriesLooking Ahead | Excavating Franklin Field - Sports