457xo3ej

Penn President Amy Gutmann welcomed what she called the "mighty class of 2012" to Penn yesterday evening by giving them the "license to take their first test flight" and asking them to "enjoy the view."

The ceremony, held every year to officially introduce the freshman class to the University, was held on College Green. As usual, it was attended by the freshmen class, administrators, faculty and student leaders.

"This is the first time that I feel that I am part of a big community," said Wharton freshman Royce Cohen. "You've heard people speak about it, but this is it."

The evening included speeches from Gutmann, former interim Dean of Admissions Eric Kaplan, Provost Ron Daniels and Penn Alumni President Lee Spelman Doty.

After the ceremony Gutmann said it was a "beautiful and electric night" and that she felt the class of 2012 was "raring to go."

She also said she enjoyed connecting with the class on a personal level, relaying some of her own college experiences - including details of a blind date she once went on.

In her remarks, Gutmann told the class of 2012 that they are "the best class ever to enter Penn, not because of academics but because of integrity and courage."

Daniels advised the freshmen to "give into their temptations . travel abroad for the first time and vote for the first time." He also spoke about four innovative Penn professors from different schools who had greatly impacted their respective fields.

Both Gutmann and Daniels advised the students to face their fears and anxieties, to take risks and to follow their passions irrespective of the difficulty.

Kaplan spoke to the class -- whose admission he supervised -- and told them that no experience would define them as much as the next four years.

Doty welcomed the class into the global Penn community and invited them to utilize the vast resources of the University and its influential alumni.

She also gave examples of alumni giving back to the University in various ways, ranging from monetary donations to the class that Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell regularly teaches.

After the speeches, the ceremony concluded with senior class president Brett Perlmutter presenting the flag of the class of 2012, Gutmann officially welcoming the class into Penn and the Penn Band playing "The Red and the Blue."

"I hope it does not go by as fast as they make it seem!" said College freshman Saemi Kim after the speech.

The Penny Loafers, the Glee Club and the Penn Band performed live music to accompany the speeches.