iib3j6m9
Penn's annual Sprint Football Alumni game. Penn Sprint Football celebrates its 75th year. Credit: Ryan Townsend

Neither a shoulder injury nor opponents' defenses can keep sprint football quarterback Mike D'Angelo out of the endzone.

With a contusion or possible ligament damage in his shoulder, last week's Collegiate Sprint Football Offensive Player of the Week continued his onslaught in a victory over Cornell on Saturday.

He has now amassed six passing touchdowns and four rushing touchdowns on the season.

A hard hit near the sideline Saturday night left D'Angelo wincing and grabbing his arm, but with a league title in the balance, the senior wouldn't back down.

"[D'Angelo] said 'this might be my last game, but right now we gotta win this game,'" teammate Rob Lombardi said.

"I've never seen our team that fired up coming out of the huddle."

The Quakers have come to expect this type of leadership from their quarterback. Next week he will lead them - one way or another - against Navy for the Collegiate Sprint Football League championship.

"If he can't pass and the doctor says he can play, he may be a receiver," head coach Bill Wagner said.

D'Angelo has the experience. A converted defensive back and receiver, he has used his repertoire of skills when the passing game is not an option.

"You kind of learn how, in different positions, to take on skills that kind of help you," said D'Angelo.

"I know I can buy time for myself with my feet."

In addition to "buying time," D'Angelo currently leads the Quakers in rushing touchdowns - not bad for a quarterback.

"I've never seen someone run with more heart," the running back Lombardi said. "He'll drag defenders six yards down the field; he doesn't care he's a quarterback."

Lombardi is having an impressive season of his own, and says he and D'Angelo "complement each other." Lombardi described what it's like to play with him.

"He's probably one of the best teammates I've ever played with. As far as his leadership abilities - it's indescribable."

Wagner echoed this sentiment. When asked how his junior captain leads, he put it simply:

"Like a warrior."

Friday night at Franklin Field will be D'Angelo's biggest test of the season. The question, though, is whether his shoulder will hold up.

"Is he gonna play this week? I dunno," Wagner said.

"He would convince the doctor, if he checks out medically clean, that he's capable of playing."

In typical form, D'Angelo has a leader's uncompromising confidence.

"I'm good to go for Friday. I will be 100 percent on Friday. There are no excuses in terms of my injury or on my performance. I will be perfect to play."

You can bet his team will hold him to it.