ok387uk6
Penn's Sarah Warner (#1) and Margaretha Ehret (#3) play defense as Villanova's Lauren Wuzzardo (#2) looks to pass down field to teammate Jenn Nazarethian (#3). Despite rallying in the second half, Penn lost in overtime after Villanova tied up the game in its last few minutes. Credit: Chris Poliquin

Seventy-five minutes of high-powered offense ended in overtime with Villanova's Lauren Wuzzardo's shot past Penn goalkeeper Alanna Butera.

The No. 21 Wildcats came away with a 5-4 victory, their sixth in a row, and handed the Quakers (3-5, 2-1 Ivy) their first loss in four games.

"It was a heartbreaking loss," said Penn captain Meghan Rose, "They'd score and we'd answer. Hopefully we can take that momentum into this weekend." Rose had two goals herself, including a penalty stroke in the 47th minute.

"I've been doing the same stroke since I was a sophomore," said Rose. "I just count to three in my head and take it."

Her efforts could not stifle the Villanova offense, which now has thirty goals in its last seven games.

"You've got to take charge, or they'll take charge of you," Quakers coach Val Cloud said . "They're a very aggressive team."

Cloud's players did just that through most of regulation, responding to a 3rd-minute goal by Wuzzardo with a strike by Rachel Eng in the 30th minute. Eng found an opening during a skirmish in front of the goal to knot the score at 1-1 going into halftime.

The Quakers came out with increased intensity in the second half.

"We sub a lot so they're kind of refreshed," Cloud said. "Because of our depth we can do that."

Penn needed all the depth it could get as the pace quickened. It matched Nova's three second-half goals with three of their own in the 45th, 47th and 66th minute - twice taking the lead.

Butera made diving saves and a full split, but her acrobatics could not stop a strike from the Wildcats' Jenn Nazarethian with under a minute in regulation to send the game to overtime.

As the evening cooled down the crowd heated up, feeding off the intensity on the field. Five minutes of even play were suddenly forgotten when Wuzzardo struck again in the 75th minute to give Villanova (9-2) the win.

The freshman was ranked 11th in D-I for points per game going into last night's contest.

After the game, Cloud told her players to be aware of time management, especially against a team like Villanova. But her warning was too late to save this game.

Both teams were evenly matched with fifteen shots apiece. However, the Quakers had only eight corners, while the Wildcats had fifteen.

"They scored on corners." Cloud commented.

"That's the difference right there."