The topic of Friday afternoon's seminar was ovarian cancer, but at the heart was an interest in improving women's knowledge of their health.

The seminar was the first in a series hosted by the Women's Resource Center, which for the last year has offered health services and programs designed specifically for women at Pennsylvania Hospital, part of the University Health System.

"We are beginning to try to reach out to the women of the community and to provide services to them that address very specific needs," said Women's Resource Center director Elene Turzo.

Rebecca Kagan, a nurse practitioner at Pennsylvania Hospital, spoke about who is at risk for ovarian cancer and the options women have for testing and treatment.

In her presentation, Kagan emphasized that the cause of ovarian cancer is unknown.

She also said current screening methods are inadequate.

"Early detection is the key," Kagan said. "More research needs to be done to protect all of us."

Attended by hospital employees and community members alike, the seminar received mixed reactions.

Greta Lord and her mother, Carole Lord, both employees in the medical-records department at Pennsylvania Hospital, said it was a success.

Both women said they came to the seminar with some previous knowledge of ovarian cancer, but they were still able to pick up a few new facts.

South Philadelphia resident Carol Messina said she came because ovarian cancer is hereditary in her family.

However, the seminar left Messina unimpressed.

"I don't think [Kagan] was as informed as she could have been," said Messina, who added that she would have preferred a doctor to lead the discussion.

A few of the attendees expressed interest in attending future seminars hosted by the Women's Resource Center.

"I hope they'll do more of these seminars," said Rita Kagan, Rebecca Kagan's mother. "It's very helpful."

While Turzo said the first seminar was a good start to the series, she has several ideas for improving future seminars, including an increase in publicity and a larger venue to bring in a larger and more diverse group of community members.

"We really look forward to growing our new center into . a place where women can come and get information on any of the issues of concern to them," she said.

"I think the idea is to reach out to more women and to meet their health needs and interests," said Pennsylvania Hospital spokeswoman Lee-Ann Landis .

Seminars will be held monthly through the end of the year.

November's will cover urogynecology, and December's will cover osteoporosis.