Lee Fleisher, formerly a vice chairman and clinical director at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, will take over the reins of Penn Medicine's Department of Anesthesia from 14-year chairman David Longnecker.[Ryan Jones/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Chai

After starting Penn at age 16 and graduating six months early in December 1981, Lee Fleisher returned to campus two weeks ago to chair the University School of Medicine's Department of Anesthesia.

Fleisher -- who completed his medical degree at SUNY Stony Brook and his residency at Yale University -- was selected from a national pool of applicants to succeed David Longnecker, who had chaired the department for 14 years.

Fleisher is an expert in the fields of cardiovascular anesthesiology and surgical outcomes, the latter of which involves identifying factors that reduce complications in surgery.

He previously served as both vice chairman for clinical investigation and clinical director of operating rooms at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore.

"This is a much bigger job, but the people are wonderful," Fleisher said.

"I'm trying to get anesthesia more interdigitated on campus," he added. "We're interested in finding research collaborations or areas where we can help and teach."

Fleisher plans to launch a clinical trials unit in the near future, and to participate more in health policy initiatives.

He will also carry on the work of Longnecker, who has been promoted to senior vice president and corporate chief medical officer.

"One of our most important initiatives was the development of physician scientists -- individuals who perform both research and clinical practice," Longnecker said.

He said that Fleisher is "very committed to continuing and, in fact, enhancing that."

Fleisher expressed enthusiasm about returning to work at his alma mater.

"I love this institution, and it is wonderful to look out my window and see College Hall again and walk on Locust Walk."

"This is one of the few medical schools where it truly is on the undergraduate campus," he said, emphasizing his interest in outreach and interdisciplinary programs through the Anesthesiology Department.

Fleisher -- who is co-medical director of the Global Perioperative Research Organization -- has served on governmental committees on Medicare and belongs to professional societies including the American Heart Association and American Society of Anesthesiologists.

His research has been published in The Journal of the American Medical Association and New England Journal of Medicine, among other publications.

Fleisher joined the department in early January, following a committee decision by Penn faculty, medical students and administrators in the Medical School and the University Hospital.

His decision to accept the position was partly due to the quality of the department and partly due to his affection for the University.

"Penn is a very special place," Fleisher said.