While some colleges and universities are focusing on broadening their faculty base as a way to attract students, others are also trying to distinguish themselves in a more unusual way.

To do so, they're departing from more traditional academic facilities and bringing in those that seem more fitting for a resort than a college campus -- including leisure pools, 50-person jacuzzis and a range of other amenities.

At Washington State University's Student Recreation Center, for instance, students can find the largest student weight and cardiovascular center in the country, at 17,000 square feet, in addition to an elevated running track.

WSU also has a natatorium that features a leisure pool with a water volleyball net and water basketball hoops, and accompanies a spa that can accommodate over 50 people.

The University of Houston also boasts more than the average range of student facilities, which include a climbing wall, indoor track, dry sauna and a hot tub, as well as several outdoor leisure pools, complete with elaborate landscaping.

And Ohio State University is looking to join these schools. It recently broke ground on a $140 million project, to be completed in mid-2006, that features a natatorium with five pools and two spas, as well as an artificial turf surface for lacrosse and indoor soccer and golf hitting stations with putting greens.

However, despite the growing number of universities that are choosing to provide their students with elaborate recreation and entertainment facilities, some say these cases are merely exceptions.

"The norm is that colleges and universities around the country are trying to attract students through basic amenities," said David Rood, a spokesman for the National Association of College Auxiliary Services.

The projects noted above "tend to be projects of wealthy alumni," Rood said. "I don't think it's going to become the norm."

"Certain individuals are going to want to fund these things, so let them do it," added Rood, noting that these facilities can be a "distraction" that detracts from other parts of a university that might need the money.

While Penn has added some new and appealing facilities to its campus in recent years -- such as Pottruck Health and Fitness Center and Huntsman Hall -- it has yet to reach the levels of some other schools.

But according to Admissions Dean Lee Stetson, that is not a problem.

"I think that the reputation of the University is known far and wide," Stetson said, and because of this, facilities of the type described above are not needed to attract students to Penn.

"The quality of the faculty is exceptional enough," Stetson added, noting that the faculty is what makes all the difference.

However, despite the fact that Stetson said he depends on Penn's reputation and faculty to interest students, Penn has certainly improved facilities over the last 15 years.

Stetson pointed to the "exciting new campus" -- including the improved Houston Hall, which has a food court, the renovations in Irvine Auditorium, the construction of Huntsman Hall and the Pottruck Center, which opened last year and features a climbing wall -- as a draw for students.

"We don't need to go beyond what we've been doing," Stetson said. "We're doing just fine."

Most students agreed that Penn's facilities are sufficient, and that they would not be more likely to attend a school with a more luxurious campus.

College freshman Rebecca Fogel said that Penn's facilities have served her needs, and noted that Pottruck "has everything that I need and could imagine."

Fogel called the other schools' facilities an "attempt to compensate for something they may be lacking in another area."

"I think it's irrelevant for Penn... we're distinguished by our academic reputation," Fogel added.

College freshman Matthew Conrad said that he is satisfied with Penn's current range of facilities, and does not believe that his decision about where to attend college would have been influenced by the improvements that have been added at some schools.

"Having over-the-top facilities won't be the deciding factor," Conrad said. "There's always room for improvement, but I'm satisfied."

He added that while he was applying to various schools, their facilities "somewhat influenced my decision," but noted that universities should focus on the quality of the faculty and academics, not on how many hot tubs they offer.

Conrad called the facilities of schools such as the University of Houston and Washington State "over the top -- and while I certainly wouldn't be against it, I think it's probably more important to focus on other things."

Nursing and Wharton freshman Katherine Prada said that although facilities show that a particular school is willing to cater to students' needs, "going overboard is a little ridiculous."

Prada said that Penn's facilities, like Pottruck and Huntsman, are "very nice" and "reflect well to outsiders" but noted that some buildings and bathrooms on campus seem like they need to be updated.

"I think money should be spent in any way possible to better the education, not where it's not going to improve anything," Prada said, adding that it seems like some colleges seem to be spending money on facilities while forgetting that "the purpose of the school is for education."

Rood said that Penn's campus seems "typical" because while it contains a number of modern facilities, none of them are the extravagant "oddities" that some schools advertise.

These types of facilities do not "attract a larger student pool," according to Rood, but may attract a "particular type of student."

He thinks the real attraction lies in "regular" facilities such as food service, housing and parking.

Campuses that provide great amenities in these departments are the ones that, "when push comes to shove," are going to attract more students.

"The largest jacuzzi in America isn't going to make the difference," Rood said.