In the aftermath of two recent nightclub disasters, the city of Philadelphia has been taking a closer look at safety conditions and regulations at local clubs.

The "Report on Nightclub Safety" presented to Mayor John Street last Wednesday, proposed increased education and awareness, increased consequences for noncompliance and fire safety and structural changes for nightclubs in the area.

The report was written by Philadelphia Managing Director Philip Goldsmith in response to the nightclub fire in Rhode Island that occurred on Feb. 20 and killed 99 people. That came on the heels of a Feb. 17 incident in which 21 people died in a stampede at E2, a Chicago club.

Since March 8, 13 of Philadelphia's 258 nightclubs were closed by the Department of Licenses and Inspections because they were not in compliance with fire, electrical, zoning and other regulations, according to Burns.

Seven of these nightclubs have been allowed to reopen now that their deficiencies have been remedied.

Philadelphia Assistant Managing Director Fran Burns said that the first and most immediate step that was proposed to the mayor in the report was "increased education and awareness to make the public situationally aware."

Burns said that simple things such as knowing where the exits in the club are located as well as being aware of maximum capacity laws can help save lives and prevent future tragedies.

She also noted that nightclub owners are responsible for making their establishments safe and abiding by the rules set forward by the city, and added that city officials have "talked through the regulations with the nightclub owners."

The city also sent a letter on March 4 to all licensed nightclub owners in Philadelphia making them aware of the current regulations.

Burns said that the mayor recognizes that nightclubs bring "economic vitality" to Philadelphia and wants them to "thrive, but wants them to be safe," adding that "We haven't had feedback from the mayor yet. He's reviewing the report."

The changes suggested in the report could take "over a span of years" for the more costly ones, but the "education could happen sooner," Burns said.

These recommendations include the installation of automatic fire alarms that could range anywhere from $3,500 to $14,000, more "lawful occupancy" signs, shunt strips, new computer systems and expanded width requirements for exits.

The shunt strips, which are currently not required, include a "switch that turns off music so that the occupants in the building could hear the alarm go off and evacuate," according to Burns.

The computer system would be automated to keep track of all city-conducted evaluations so that it would be easy to tell which clubs need to be re-checked and brought up to date on regulations.

Development of this system will begin in July and should be complete within a two-year period.

Chad Stellato, the owner of Chrome nightclub on North Delaware Avenue, said that he is happy that the city is taking action.

"It's ensuring safety for our patrons," Stellato said.

"We're making sure we're 100 percent in conjunction with the city," he said, adding that he thinks the suggestions are "absolutely terrific" because many nightclubs in Philadelphia are not following regulations.

"It raises the bar in general for clubs that aren't on the up-and-up," Stellato added.

He called nightclubs and entertainment the "backbone of any major city."

Chrome has had several previous violations, including exit problems and lack of enough safety signs, but the club has since "complied with all the regulations," according to Stellato.

Although the new recommendations may cost a lot of money, Stellato said that that is "just the cost of doing business."

Burns said that the city has put together some brochures and a video and has made a recommendation to distribute these materials through college and university fire personnel.