Justin Gatlin hands off to Coby Miller in the 4x100m relay for the USA Red team, left, on Saturday at the 109th Penn Relays. USA Red won the 4x100m in 38.62, anchored by the world's fastest man, Tim Montgomery. The United States took first and second in e

For three days last weekend, the University of Pennsylvania hosted one of the greatest events in American sport, shuffling more athletes through Franklin Field's hallowed walls than any other American track meet -- close to 22,000 this year, according to Penn Relays Director Dave Johnson. Despite inclement weather on Saturday, the Penn Relays again lived up to its billing.

"It's a circus," Olympic gold medalist Gail Devers said. "It's amazing... how they can corral all of these thousands of people through this meet and basically be on time, for the most part."

Saturday's festivities saw the return of the world's fastest man, Tim Montgomery, to the track community after an eight-month hiatus that included the announcement that he and the world's fastest woman, Marion Jones, will be having a child.

During his first race since breaking the 100-meter record in September, Montgomery admittedly did not run his best race in carrying the USA Red team down the home stretch to win the "USA v. the World" 4x100m race.

"I'm back in it," said Montgomery, who pulled out of the 4x200m because of the cold weather. "I feel that I have a bull's eye on the back of my shirt.... [The race] was everything I wanted."

Unlike last year, all six of the "USA v. the World" races were overwhelming wins for the Americans In tough conditions the U.S. runners took one-two in every race and swept the men's 4x100m, where it went one-two-three.

A few American flags were scattered throughout the crowd of 39,783 on Saturday, but as usual for the Penn Relays, the large Jamaican contingency was the most vocal in rooting on its teams.

"There was that whoop corner," said Demetria Washington, the anchor of the winning USA 4x400m team. "I heard a whoop, and I was like, 'Oh my God, somebody's coming for me.'"

Though the largest crowd showed up on Saturday for the "USA v. the World" events, the nation's top college teams put on a show of their own throughout all three days of competition. Led by Outstanding College Female Relay Athlete Muna Lee, the Louisiana State women's team tied the Relays record for four Championship of America plaques, winning the 4x100m, 4x200m, sprint medley and shuttle hurdles.

In the meet's final women's event, the 4x400m, Texas grabbed the coveted fifth relay gold from the Tigers in meet-record time, 3:27.64. The Longhorns win allowed their program to maintain a tie with four Relays golds.

North Carolina's women were not far behind LSU in terms of relay golds, emphatically sweeping the weekend's distance races -- the distance medley relay, 4x1500m and 4x800m.

"Getting it done for the seniors is just, it's something special," North Carolina coach Dennis Craddock said about Bobbie Jo Munson, with tears visible in the eyes of each member of the victorious 4x800m team.

"Bobbie's been there and has done so much for the program and for our three girls to recognize that and want to make sure that she went out on top... it puts a cap on the whole weekend."

Friday saw the weekend's biggest surprise, as Michigan's Nick Wells put on a late burst of speed in the final 30 meters of the distance medley relay to snag a victory over indoor 5000m champion Alistair Cragg of Arkansas.

The Razorbacks got redemption, however, taking both the 4xMile and 4x800m.

Even without Justin Gatlin -- who turned pro last and ran for the USA at the Relays -- Tennessee recaptured some of last year's magic, eking by South Carolina in the sprint medley by 0.38 to finish in 3:14.41.

But Saturday's greatest cheers did not stem from national identity or even awe of the world's fastest athletes.

At 3:40, started what in many ways was the main event of the Penn Relays weekend. It wasn't the event that was so intriguing, but one man. Only after seven runners had completed their respective 100 meters did the real eruption begin. Jamaicans and Americans alike rose is unison to cheer on Everett Hosack, the 101-year old who was anything but "Over the Hill," as the name of his track club would indicate.

Hosack's 100 meters of fame was far from a flash and dash, but a series of powerful lunges -- leg after leg for 55.69 seconds. And while it was far from his 43.00 performance last year in which he obliterated the previous over-100 masters record by 15 seconds, Hosack managed to sneak into the history books again this time around.

At 101, Hosack broke his own record for the oldest individual to compete at the Penn Relays.

At 109, the Penn Relays was as strong as it ever has been.