The Last Word, a used book and music store, will occupy the vacant space next to Philly Diner, located at 40th and Walnut streets, by the end of this semester.[Andrew Margolies/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Philly Diner will soon have an intellectual neighbor move in next door, as University real estate officials announced plans to open a used book store in a vacant spot on Walnut Street yesterday.

The Last Word Book Shop will sell used books in addition to music and other items.

According to Vice President for Facilities and Real Estate Services Omar Blaik, Penn has wanted to bring in a used bookstore for a long time to enhance the intellectual atmosphere around campus.

"When you think of campus and the intellectual activity that goes on, we have very few book stores compared to other university campuses," Blaik said. "We're really excited to bring a used book store to campus."

The Last Word owner Larry Maltz, a Penn graduate and University City resident, echoed Blaik's enthusiasm.

"We've been working on this for two and a half years, and it's finally coming to fruition," Maltz said. "We're really, really, really excited."

Renovations on the space are expected to begin in April, and Maltz hopes to open three to four weeks after renovations are completed.

For the past three or four years, this location on the 3900 block of Walnut has been used as storage and office space for the diners that have been housed next door.

Maltz, who has owned other book stores in the past, said that he already has between 20 and 30 thousand books in his collection ready to stock the shelves at The Last Word. Although the store will not sell or buy textbooks, Maltz is certain that it will have books on every subject.

In addition to books, the store will also carry old record albums, posters and postcards and eventually sell coffee and tea. With solid wood shelves, music in the background and plenty of tables and chairs, Maltz hopes students will be drawn in by the bookstore's atmosphere.