Danny Choi

You walk by it every day on your way to class. You sometimes peer through the window and wonder what people are eating in there. You know it exists, but never dare to venture inside.

In short, Ivy Grille is not the name that usually surfaces during the weekly debate over where you and your roommates should eat dinner.

Hotel guests and Annenberg theatergoers usually frequent the restaurant, which is located next to the Inn at Penn in the heart of Sansom Common on Walnut Street, but it is an untapped oasis of delicious delights that Penn students can enjoy. Hurry up and take a bite, because the Grille is about to undergo some major changes.

On my first visit to Ivy Grille, I stepped in from the cold and was greeted by my friend and the warm atmosphere of the restaurant. The soft lighting, the exposed oven and the pleasant hum of patrons chattering away over their meals created a comfortable environment.

Glancing around the room, I noticed that most of the customers were either families or non-Penn students. Also, the dining room emptied out quite early for a Saturday night. Nevertheless, the atmosphere was lovely and so was the food.

The menu features a variety of entrees that range in price from $10 to $20. I ordered a mixed green salad, which was topped with fresh bleu cheese and walnuts.

My friend ordered butternut squash soup, but I would not know what it tasted like because she enjoyed it so much that she refused to share a bite with me.

After a wait that was a bit too long, our meals finally arrived. I ordered lamb over a bed of potato gnocchi and asparagus. The lamb melted softly away on my palate, and the tantalizing aroma of my friend's Chilean sea bass caused my fork to wander to her plate. Graciously, she granted me the privilege of tasting her dinner.

The fish was crispy on the outside and juicy in the middle -- my mouth is watering just recalling it. My gnocchi were soft and seemed to be freshly prepared, and the asparagus added the necessary touch of green.

Although we were too full for dessert, we did indulge in frothy cappucinos to close out the evening.

I would highly recommend the Ivy Grille, but if you are interested in sampling the cuisine, you should make haste. Come July, the Ivy Grille is making major changes.

Harry Gratz, the restaurant's general manager, was hired to revitalize the campus dining locale. Over the summer, it will be transformed into Penne, an Italian restaurant, which will hopefully draw more on-campus customers.

Gratz says his goal is to be busy all the time.

But while the fare may be changing soon, the Ivy Grille is an excellent local option for a good meal. Take advantage of it while it's still around.