The Freshgrocer is applying for a liquor license to sell beer for both carry-out and on-site consumption. [Matthew Sorber/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

The Freshgrocer is applying to the state of Pennsylvania for a certificate to sell beer.

The store, located at the corner of 40th and Walnut streets, has recently displayed orange zoning notices in its windows.

Store officials said they decided to try to sell beer because of high customer demand.

"We really didn't even think about [beer sales] before," Freshgrocer owner Pat Burns said. "The demand of the public forced us to [apply for a license]."

The Freshgrocer is hoping for both an approval of the sale of beer for carry-out purposes and of the consumption of beer on its premises -- specifically the first floor, mezzanine level, the cafe and the parking deck.

Though business is already booming for the fairly-new grocery store, many believe the addition of beer sales is sure to greatly increase its revenue, especially because of its location in the heart of University City.

Adding beer sales "will definitely turn a good profit," College sophomore Laura Schwartz said.

She and other students are very happy with the store's decision to apply for the license because of its proximity to campus. Some students also said they do not foresee any problems stemming from the sale of beer at Freshgrocer.

"I support their decision," College sophomore Anne Nicholson said. "There are already so many places to get liquor that I don't see why it would be a big deal."

However, some also expressed concern that, by including beer in its inventory, the Freshgrocer will be indirectly encouraging alcohol consumption and negatively affecting the local environment.

"It's not a good thing that Freshgrocer is going to sell beer," Engineering freshman Anand Patel said. "Since Freshgrocer also plans to allow consumption of beer on its premises, the increased presence of drinkers is not good for the community or for consumers."

As with any liquor-selling institution, the issue of selling alcohol to minors always looms large.

"We're aware of problems of safety and the legal ramifications of selling beer," Burns said. "We're going to have cameras everywhere and signs about only selling beer to those of legal age."

Burns is also doing his part to make sure the community is well-informed of how the Freshgrocer will handle the sale of beer. He even postponed a public hearing that was scheduled yesterday because members of the Civic Association, a West Philadelphia community group, could not attend.

"We wanted to give the Civic Association a chance to be at the hearing," Burns said. "We also want to talk to them about how we are handling the beer."

Company spokesman John Conolly emphasized that since it was the customers, both Penn students and West Philadelphia residents, that requested liquor sales, he does not expect any problems or controversies to arise.

"We've had no complaints so far," Conolly said. "We've heard nothing but positive feedback."

The public hearing regarding the Freshgrocer's application for a license to sell beer has not yet been rescheduled.