Father Chuck Pfeffer speaks to students Christine Onyung and Jon Hsy before the Unity Week-sponsored Interfaith Response panel discussion. [Marika Maris/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

The New York Times headline read, "Sikh Owner Of Gas Station Is Fatally Shot In Rampage," and later, "Beating of Pakistani Cab Driver Called a Hate Crime."

In the weeks since Sept. 11, anti-Arab hate crimes have made national news, prompting Penn students to organize an interfaith speaker panel on Monday night as part of this year's Unity Week activities.

More than 75 students attended the interfaith program held in Dunlop Auditorium to learn more about religion and tolerance.

"I know my religions, Hinduism and Sikhism, are very tolerant," Engineering freshman Amar Bansal said. "But, when it comes to other religions, I'm pretty unaware."

This cultural and religious oblivion is precisely what organizers hope to combat by bringing together a diverse group of experts, including Pennsylvania Sen. Allyson Schwartz.

Schwartz said that she feels communication is integral to preventing repeats of recent cases of hate crimes.

"It's important to continue the dialogue that Penn started right after the attacks," Schwartz said. "We're trying to find ways to come together and want to reach out."

Like Schwartz, other panelists stressed conversation and communication.

"We don't have to wait for the 911 call to get together like this," South Asian Regional Studies Professor Surendra Gambhir said.

College junior Noga Newberg, one of the event's planners, added that planning the program "brought together people that would have never met otherwise to reach a common goal."

University Chaplain William Gipson pointed out that historically students protesting against injustice have made a significant impact on issues of national debate.

"Throughout American history, undergraduates have led the way on a lot of important social movements," Gipson said. "This generation can make their contribution by showing what it really means to live in a democratic society."

Organizers included the Hindu Students Association, Muslim Students Association, the Newman Center, Hillel, Penn Sikh and the Christian Association.