The Quakers returned to the court last Saturday at Weightman Hall, the team's first official practice of the 2001-02 season. [Cynthia Barlow/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

The Penn women's basketball team held its first official practice of the season last Saturday, and the chemistry was palpable.

You wouldn't have known the team graduated six seniors, including two of the best players in Penn history.

You wouldn't have known there were five freshmen on the floor and three other women who have yet to see significant minutes for the Quakers.

You wouldn't have known that one of last season's top freshmen is sitting out the season due to a nasty concussion suffered last year.

All you would have seen was a united force of 12 players, intense and competitive, prepared to do whatever it takes to defend their Ivy crown.

"We're doing really well in the few practices we had," said Julie Epton, Penn's lone senior. "The freshmen are picking things up really quickly. We have people stepping up into leadership roles. We're all excited."

The Quakers have good reason to be excited. After all, they are coming off the best season in the history of the program, highlighted by the team's first-ever Ivy League title.

But going into the 2001-02 campaign, Penn is still waist-deep in question marks.

For the first time in four years, the Quakers will be without Diana Caramanico, the owner of virtually every Penn offensive record.

The Quakers also graduated standout guard Erin Ladley and will be without Jackie Froatz, who has yet to recover from a concussion suffered in a practice late last year.

Without Caramanico, Froatz and also-graduated Jessica Allen, the Quakers will have very little height this season. Only two players -- Epton and freshman Katie Kilker -- are six feet or taller.

"We definitely don't have the size, but we make up for it in other ways," coach Kelly Greenberg said. "We can't be happier with where we are."

Greenberg is also delighted with the play of her freshmen, four sharpshooting guards and 6-foot-2 Kilker.

"The freshmen are awesome," said Epton, who will serve as a captain this season along with Jennifer Jones and Tara Twomey. "They're learning very quickly... and are all working as hard as they can."

Seldom-used previously, juniors Sonja Pitrof and Ima Abia and sophomore Mikaelyn Austin will also play significant roles on this year's squad.

"What we have here is just as special as last year, just different," Epton said. "We have to fight through a tougher season. And we're looking forward to the challenge."