After more than a week of disputes and negotiations with Penn, officials at The Freshgrocer say the supermarket will open later this month. (Will Burhop/The Daily Pennsylvanian)

More than a week after its grand opening was scrapped due to lingering construction problems, The Freshgrocer appears to be back on track and will likely open later this month, according to operator Pat Burns. Burns had indefinitely postponed the supermarket's opening late last month, citing a poorly installed floor, a faulty climate control system and problems with the conveyer belt designed to transport shoppers' groceries to their cars. But officials from The Freshgrocer and Penn -- which is responsible for construction on the long-delayed supermarket at 40th and Walnut streets -- have reached an agreement after several days of negotiations. Penn previously had agreed to fix some of the floor's bumps, cracks and other defects, but Burns refused to open the store until all problems were corrected. The University will now fix the entire floor, as well as correct the climate control system and conveyer belt. "We're working on the opening date as we speak," Burns said yesterday. "Negotiations are going well." He said that the market will open "hopefully in the next couple weeks." The delay forced Freshgrocer employees to empty the shelves -- which had been 75 percent stocked -- of all perishable items and to cancel delivery of products intended for the store's opening. According to Vice President of Facilities Services Omar Blaik, who earlier characterized Burn's complaints as "nothing major," said the recent discussions have been "very productive." "We are working through all of our differences and I do not expect any major issues," he said. "The floor issues are resolved. There are a host of issues, but overall we have made some very good progress." Burns, who had expressed strong frustrations about his recent dealings with the University, attributed the productivity of the latest discussions to the input of Penn Executive Vice President John Fry. "Things are doing well because he's making things happen," Burns said. The much-anticipated supermarket was originally scheduled to open last summer but faced a series of construction delays over the past year, including labor and material shortages. The opening date was pushed back to January 10 and then moved again to March 1. On February 28, The Freshgrocer hosted a reception for Penn and city officials. Only a few days before the reception, however, Freshgrocer officials abruptly canceled the March 1 opening date and later settled on an April 1 opening. Blaik pledged to work cooperatively with Burns as the supermarket struggles towards an opening. "If there are any problems that resurface in the future, we will find a way to deal with them," Blaik said.