Next summer, Penn students living on campus won't be the only people who can experience the University's high-speed Internet access and state-of-the-art video network. According to University computing officials, Penn has been chosen to showcase its video, data and voice technology system during the ResNet Symposium, scheduled for next June. During the symposium, around 300 administrators and computing specialists from universities across the nation will gather on Penn's campus to discuss components of ResNet, including planning and start-up, operational procedures and support as well as policy, liability and security issues. Penn was chosen from a pool of applicants across the country because of the strength of the University's ResNet program and because it has the facilities to host such a conference, according to officials from the Office of Residential Computing. "We put together a bid based on the kinds of activities we would have and the facilities we could offer," said Associate Director for Residential Computing Amy Phillips. "The biggest benefit for Penn is the publicity and national recognition we'll receive," Phillips added. "It's really a showcase for Penn, and I think it's a great opportunity." And Lead Computing Support Professional Caroline Couture said that Penn's participation in the conference -- which was initiated at Stanford five years ago -- reflects the overall quality of the program. "I think it was a recognition of the strength of our program," Couture said, adding that Penn is unique in that it "offer[s] comprehensive support." The University's ResNet program is also an important part of "an overall strategy for offering services in the college houses [through the Wheel program]," she said. In addition to the formal lectures sponsored by the symposium, time will be set aside for informal discussion. "I think that we'll get a lot of new ideas," Couture said. "Whenever you get groups of really smart people together who are doing essentially the same thing, ideas just percolate." Although most students will not be on campus during the symposium, the Information Technology Advisors will play a role in planning and organizing the conference and all students still on campus will benefit from the vendor fair that is part of the festivities, according to Phillips. Symposium participants will be housed in the two graduate towers so that they can have first-hand access to the ResNet program. The event will be funded by the registration fees of the participants and the support of outside sponsors in the computer industry.