A picture is worth a thousand words -- or at least that's what the Office of College Houses and Academic Services is hoping. In the continuing effort to promote a spirit of community within each of the 12 college houses, officials will give students the opportunity to express their house pride by creating a coat of arms unique to each house. The contest -- announced yesterday to each of the 12 house deans -- will give students the opportunity to use symbols and color to express the unique personality of the college house they represent. "I think it's just one of many ways that the houses can individualize themselves," Director of College Houses and Academic Services David Brownlee said. The packet distributed yesterday to house deans includes the basic guidelines for the contest as well as some suggestions about design, mottos, and traditional "heraldic symbolism." But college house spokesperson Sue Smith emphasized that "students are not required to stick to [the guide]." "We're interested to see what [students] think is the spirit of the house and how they will show that in pictorial form," she said. Student submissions are due by the end of the month, at which time they will be reviewed by a specially appointed committee, whose members will include graphic designer Phillip Unetic -- creator of the current emblem of the college house program. "We'll take outlines, suggestions, stick-figures," Smith said. She added that Unetic "is going to look at the submissions and see what will work artistically." It is possible that the committee will select components of several students' designs and compile them to create a final product. Each student whose work is chosen will receive a share of the $50 in prize money being offered. Smith said that although the house emblems will only be used for not-for-profit purposes until at least next fall, the possibility of licensing the designs and selling college house merchandise in the future does exist. "It's a fun and interesting project but it does have some complicated issues attached," Smith said in reference to the legal implications of licensing student-created designs for commercial use. She added that "this is just the very first step, and the most fun step." Kei Yamamoto, the only undergraduate to serve on the selection committee, is also enthusiastic about the project. "I think this competition will help people have more of a house spirit," the College sophomore said. "By having such a symbol in each of the houses I think it will contribute more to the sense of community which is the basic goal of the college house system." Smith and Brownlee said they are confident that a lasting symbol can be created to represent each college house even though most of the student population changes each year. "It's transcendent, more representative of the community than the building," Smith said. Although she said she recognizes the fact that students come and go, Smith added that she believes "there will be some overarching personalities," explaining that she expects each house to develop its own defining characteristics.