Late-night studiers may have to wait just months for the new-and-improved Rosengarten Reserve Room to open. Renovations to Rosengarten -- located on the ground floor of Van Pelt Library -- will begin this summer, according to a statement made by Provost Robert Barchi at last week's University Council meeting. Though Vice Provost and Director of Libraries Paul Mosher originally stated last month that the plan was in the conceptual stages, Barchi has since decided to go ahead with the $2 million project, for which half of the necessary funding has already been raised through private donations. University officials originally said they could not approve the plan until all necessary funds were obtained but Barchi confirmed Wednesday that the process can be completed in stages as additional funding becomes available. "We already have in place the funding for the student study spaces that will be renovated this summer and next," Barchi said. "In the meantime, we will continue to aggressively raise the remaining funds necessary in order to complete the cybercafe." The proposed renovations will add six group study rooms, a more distinctly defined lounge area with several couches and a cybercafe to seat between 40 and 50 students. Rosengarten will also be completely refurnished with new carpeting, tables and lighting fixtures. The first stage of the renovations will consist mainly of infrastructure work, as the facility needs new heating and air-conditioning equipment, a sprinkler system and wiring for new computers as well as "underfloor" wiring and carpeting, according to Mosher. Although most of the infrastructure work should be completed by next fall, Mosher said the project may continue when classes recommence in September if there is still work to be done and if the University has the funding to do it. "If you have to leave a part of the ceiling undone and it's evident to the people that there is a work in progress, do it," Mosher said. "Undergraduates understand, they want to see progress." Wharton sophomore and Undergraduate Assembly Treasurer Jonathan Glick -- one of the chief proponents of the plan to accelerate the Rosengarten renovations -- agreed that a start is better than nothing. "I think the start is great," Glick said. "I hope that the full renovations can be done as soon as possible." The renovated Rosengarten will address the need for a 24-hour study space on campus where students can work and have access to computers without having to leave to take a break or get a snack. "Clearly, safe, attractive, comfortable late-night study spaces are an integral part of ensuring that our students have the best undergraduate learning experience possible," Barchi said. Mosher praised Barchi for his commitment to the project and said he felt confident that the money needed to complete the cybercafe would be procured "within the next two years." Glick said he was proud of the role the UA played in Barchi's decision to accelerate the renovations.