Sean McDonald recorded baseball's first no-hitter since 1992 as the Quakers swept two games from Cornell. Penn's Bower Field has been a hitter's ballpark this season. But don't tell that to sophomore pitcher Sean McDonald, who pitched a no-hitter Saturday against Cornell, the first by a Quaker since 1992. McDonald's no-no was the second win for the Penn baseball team (12-15-1, 8-6 Ivy League) in a four-game home-stand against Gehrig Division foe Cornell (10-13-1, 5-5). The last two games scheduled for yesterday against the Big Red were postponed due to the inclement weather and will be played this afternoon at 1 p.m. at Bower Field. After outscoring the Big Red 7-4 in the first game, McDonald had the most dominant performance of a Penn pitcher this season, recording the team's first shutout with a 4-0 victory. Of the 24 batters he faced, he struck out five and allowed only three baserunners in his third complete game of the season. "The only thing I noticed in the bullpen [warming up before the game] was that I was keeping my fastball low, and really hitting spots well," McDonald said. "My breaking ball wasn't really as sharp as it has been, but I had such command of the fastball that I was hitting spots." However, for most of the game, the Quakers could not think about the potential no-hitter, as they failed to score a run until the bottom of the sixth inning. "I don't think it was a distraction," Penn coach Bob Seddon said. "I think everybody noticed what was going on, but it wasn't really discussed mainly because we weren't ahead. Yeah, they knew there was a no-hitter, but it became more of a thought when we got ahead." Even the players behind McDonald in the field remained mum in the Quakers' dugout. "It was difficult not to notice, but you never want to jinx anybody by thinking about it out loud, but we were really concentrating on winning the game," junior first baseman Russ Farscht said. McDonald, however, remained focused on the win before worrying about the no-hitter. With a tie score in the fifth, the shutout remained more important. "All I am trying to do as a pitcher is keep my team in the ballgame," McDonald said. "Every game I've pitched aside from the Columbia games has been a one-run ballgame, so I am used to these close ones. And my offense really came through for me in the bottom of the sixth." In the bottom of the sixth, second baseman Joe Carlon opened the scoring with a run-scoring double. Senior Armen Simonian later brought Carlon in with a sacrifice fly to centerfield. Penn catcher David Corleto's double scored two more runs, giving the Quakers enough to ensure a victory. With a comfortable lead, the Quakers took the field to preserve the hitless game and accomplish a rare feat. "Initially my thought was 'be fine, don't let up any hits,' and then I walked the first guy," McDonald said. "Then my catcher Dave Corleto came out to me and just said, 'listen, stop thinking, just throw the ball,' and I did." Possibly overshadowed by McDonald's no-hitter was the sensational outing by Simonian, who also went the distance for the Quakers in the first game. While Simonian did give up nine hits and four runs, he kept the Cornell bats in check long enough for the Quakers to score runs. The Big Red struck early, with two runs in the top of the second inning, but the Quakers quickly countered with three runs of their own in the bottom of the inning. Keying the frame was Farscht's solo home run to left field, his third of the season. After each team scored again in the third, the Quakers put two more runs on the board in the fifth. Carlon drove senior shortstop Glen Ambrosius home and scored later in the inning on a Corleto sacrifice fly to right field. "Hitting, much more than anything else in baseball, is about confidence," Carlon, the team leader with 34 runs batted in, said. "My confidence level is as high as it has been in my four years here." It was all the insurance Simonian and the Quakers would need. Both McDonald and Simonian now lead the team with three wins apiece. With both Simonian and McDonald going the distance, Seddon did not have to call on his bullpen to preserve the victories. "He warmed up very well, his first two innings were excellent, throwing very few pitches, and his location was perfect early on, so he had a good day, no question about it," Seddon said. "There weren't that many balls hit hard, and he was in total control. He only threw 83 pitches in seven innings." Expected to start for the Quakers on the mound today for the makeup games are freshman Matt Hepler and sophomore Anthony Napolitano. With just eight games remaining, six against Ivy Division opponents, the Quakers still remain in the hunt for an Ivy League title.