The scene is Lee Amphitheater in New Haven, Conn. -- home of Yale hoops. The 1997-98 Penn men's basketball team is running a scrimmage and on this day, one particular Quaker is en fuego. He shoots from outside -- bang, nothing but net. On the next play he beats his man inside and goes glass, again the ball drops through. Now he runs around a hard pick and from the top of the key, cocks and fires. The result is the same: swish. No one is able to guard him. Finally, after two more plays in which he has humiliated his teammates, Penn coach Fran Dunphy lurches forward and screams at the top of his lungs: "Could somebody please stop Goldstein!" Yes, that's right. The Quaker mentioned above is not Penn's flashy point guard Michael Jordan or their streak shooting forward Jed Ryan. It is none other than reserve forward Jeff Goldstein. Referred to as "Goldy" by his teammates, the co-captain for this year's Penn hoops team is enjoying his stay in New Haven. After Dunphy stares down his starting unit, he turns to Goldstein and mutters: "Nice shooting, Jeff." Play resumes, but having been burned one too many times, the starting five do not allow Goldstein to attempt another shot for the rest of the scrimmage. Not remembering it quite like that, the veteran Quakers forward refers to this particular incident as "just part of a day's work." In addition to running the opposition's plays day in and day out, Goldstein has become a quiet leader who is revered by his teammates and lauded by his coaches. "He shows up every day for practice and works his butt off," Dunphy said. "He does whatever is asked of him and never complains. He has been a pleasure to coach." For the 6'5'' native of Egg Harbor Township, N.J., attaining Dunphy's admiration was more of a wild fantasy than reality when he first stepped onto Penn's campus back in 1994. Goldstein began his collegiate career on the Quakers' junior varsity squad. During his JV stint he remained gung-ho about the group of guys he played with, never dreaming about a move to the varsity team. "There were so many guys that I played with back on the JV team that never got a chance to do what I am doing," Goldstein said. "These past 2 1/2 have just been an honor for me to be on varsity. I mean I am almost playing now for them." If Goldstein's selfless attitude strikes anyone as odd, get used to it. Talking with fellow Quakers Garett Kreitz and Jordan or any of his coaches dating back to his days playing for Egg Harbor High, everyone made it a point to comment on Goldstein's never-ending dedication to basketball as well as his teammates. "He is one of the nicest guys I have ever met," Kreitz said. "He is so humble and is respectful of everyone." While many of his closest friends are the ones he made during his two seasons on JV, maybe the most important bond Goldstein formed was with former Quakers forward Cedric Laster, at the time a varsity player. In the middle of his second year in the JV program, Goldstein, along with Phil Smith, were promoted to fill in for two Quakers who had walked off the varsity team. While rewarding, the adjustment was tough at first. Goldstein and Smith were practicing with varsity while continuing to play with JV; it was Laster who befriended the sophomore forward and made the transition much smoother. "Ced was a huge help for me when I first came up to varsity," Goldstein said. "In practice, after or before, he was always helping me out or whispering in my ear and telling me what to do. Watching what he went through during his time here at Penn and where he ended up was a big inspiration for me." Initially, Goldstein felt Dunphy was taking it easy on him and Smith. Never once in his first season on varsity did the head coach call out his name or get in his face. But during pre-season the following year, Goldstein erred and Dunphy was officially in his face. "So the biggest thrill was my junior year when he yelled at me," Goldstein said. "I went home and I told everyone. I remember I called my girlfriend and I was like, 'He yelled at me today -- it was awesome'." More importantly, last season, a period in which Goldstein saw action in only 13 games -- most of which occurred during blowouts -- the forward tried his best to impart some of the wisdom Laster had bestowed upon him the previous year. To Goldstein's credit, his playing time last winter was not indicative of his off-court presence. Following in the shoes of his mentor, Goldstein, like Laster, was a recipient of the 1996-97 Bus MacDonald Award given to the team's most inspirational player. Goldstein mentioned how hard he worked to be a friend for all his teammates, something he has continued this season as co-captain. "The whole thing was completely unexpected," Goldstein said referring to being chosen co-captain. "It was moments before the game and we are all doing lay-up lines. Jed stopped everybody and huddled the whole team because we had not yet voted on captains." We needed someone to meet at center court with the Rice captains, so Ryan said 'I'm voting for Garett and Goldy to be our captains' and the next thing I know I am at center court shaking hands with [Jarvis] Kelly-Sanni. It was almost a surreal feeling." The emotional high of being awarded co-captain was extra special considering Goldstein had his doubts about even making this year's team. For the Biology and Environmental Studies major who has always placed a premium on academics, his "wacky" class schedule in the fall often conflicted with many of the pre-season practices. Upon being elected captain, Goldstein realized his place on the team had been solidified. His confidence was given a further boost two weeks ago during Penn's contest versus Lafayette, when Dunphy put Goldstein into the game in the first half. It was the first time in his career Goldstein entered a gamewith the outcome in doubt. "If there is anyone who deserves to play more minutes, it is Jeff," Dunphy said after the Lafayette game. "I am very confident in his abilities and know exactly what I am going to get out of him when he is on the floor." Goldstein admitted the playing time was a thrill but he also recognizes his role on the team as more of a veteran and mentor, doing whatever possible to make those around him better. As a result, one friendship Goldstein has formed that brings a smile to his face is with Jordan. The two often room together on road trips and share the unlikeliest of common bonds in fake wrestling. "Mike and I have both been into wrestling ever since we were kids," Goldstein said. "I'd say wrestling dominates about a quarter of what we talk about, because it all comes back to wrestling. I compare Mike to the 'Heartbreak Kid' because he is cocky, young and arrogant. And I compare myself to 'Ric Flair.' I am no world champion but I have been there, I am old and I am kind of on my way out." Thankfully, Goldstein and Jordan, courtesy of that Ivy League education, are aware that it is all staged, but this does not stop them from carrying on for hours about WrestleMania. When not rambling about the W.W.F., the W.C.W., or playing in his band dubbed "Fitzgerald Walking" with teammate Mike Dzik, Goldstein can be found challenging Jordan to games of HORSE prior to contests. Goldstein wants to set the record straight about these contests. He will admit Jordan has beaten him the last three times but overall the series is only 7-4; according to Goldstein, there is still plenty of time for "me to teach Mike a lesson." This past weekend Goldstein was once again on fire. Right before the Cornell game, the 'Heartbreak Kid' and 'Ric Flair' were up to their usual pre-game antics. It looked like the wily old veteran was finally going to snap the underclassman's streak as he led by three letters. Suddenly a smile broke over Jordan's face. Dunphy was calling a last-minute team meeting to watch some game film and the match was called a draw. "Whether it is playing HORSE with Mike before a game, eating with the guys after practice or cheering from the sidelines during games, my experience on the Penn basketball team has been unbelievable," Goldstein said.