Counterparts took first place in Sunday's regional a cappella competition. The Zellerbach Theater audience exploded with applause as Penn's Counterparts group claimed first place at the National Championship of College A Cappella regional competition Sunday night. Counterparts and the University of Maryland's Generics -- who were the regional runners-up -- will advance to the semifinal for the mid-Atlantic region at Haverford College Friday. "We are all very excited about winning this competition," said Counterparts President Ty Stiklorius, a College senior. "We went for the three-point shot and we got it." Other groups that participated in the competition included New York University's APC Rhythm, the Haverford/Bryn Mawr Looney Tunes and Penn's Off The Beat. The groups were judged based on their presentation, musicality, originality and solo performances. Additional prizes were awarded for soloists and musical arrangements. Competitors presented a range of musical styles, from rhythm and blues to contemporary pop. For Counterparts, the competition presented an opportunity to gain perspective on their strengths in comparison with other groups. "This kind of competition enables us to show people what we think we can do," Counterparts Business Manager John Stephens said. The College sophomore added that the group enjoyed the friendly competition with their Penn colleagues. But Off The Beat Musical Director and College senior Dan Jurow said the competition was not a focus of his group this semester. "We've been working towards our 10th anniversary spring show," Jurow said. "You can always take positive feedback away from a competition, but I don't think it's possible to judge which group is really better." Off The Beat President Dan Gross said the family atmosphere of a cappella groups makes competitions a time to appreciate the talents of others. "I don't feel that much tension," the College junior said. "This is about the love of performing." Tony Simpson, musical director of Maryland's Generics, said his group had done intense preparation for the competition, incorporating concentration exercises into their rehearsals. "We've been working really hard to prepare for this competition," Simpson said. "Our group is all about energy," he added. "And as long as we can go out there and do our best, we're happy." APC Rhythm President Liana Tang said the group's ability to participate in the competition was a feat in itself. "We're almost a year old as a group," she said. "A few months ago we didn't even think we were going to last the rest of the year." Tang, who founded the group, said she was thrilled to have the opportunity to sing with so many established groups. Bryn Mawr senior Jessica Grochocinski, musical director for the Loony Tunes, said the group only decided Wednesday to participate in the competition. "We're very relaxed about this experience," she said. "We're really here to have fun and pick up some good criticism." In its second year, the championship -- sponsored by the Contemporary A Cappella Society of America and Smokin' Fish Records -- is the only major national competition of its kind. Some of the groups plan to attend the regional semi-finals Friday, in support of their a cappella peers. At the finals, held at Carnegie Hall April 26, judges will select an overall winner and present that group with a $2,000 prize.