The fate of Smith Hall and the Institute for Advanced Science and Technology remains in the hands of the U.S. Air Force. Air Force officials are still conducting a historical and environmental impact study on Smith Hall to determine whether the site is an appropriate location for the IAST, according to Vice Provost for Research Barry Cooperman. The study began over two years ago in the midst of a heated controversy over whether to demolish the 100-year-old campus building to make room for the institute. In 1991, the University was selected by the federal government as the site for the IAST. The project was then turned over to the Department of Defense and subsequently to the Air Force. If built, the IAST is slated to house space for the Chemistry Department, additional Chemical Engineering labs and research space for the Bioengineering Department. Cooperman said he hopes to hear from the Air Force in the next two months. "I am anxious to have this project move forward," he said. Air Force spokesperson Jane Knowlton confirmed that the military was reviewing the historical and environmental impact studies, but refused to reveal when those studies would be completed. But, University officials are optimistic. Art Gravina, vice president for Facilities Management, said he thinks the demolition of Smith Hall could come as soon as this fall. "We feel that the Air Force will move forward with this project," Gravina said. If the Air Force gives its approval, Gravina said, the University would receive $35 million from the Defense Department for its completion of the IAST.This grant would cover approximately half of the cost, according to Cooperman. The University has already begun fundraising efforts to produce the other half, he said, but this will be made easier once the Air Force reviews are complete. Cooperman said that while he expects corporate sponsorship of the project, the University may need to take on a debt to fund the new building. Funding will not be the only issue officials are facing when the Air Force issues its decision. The University must still obtain a demolition permit from the city to tear down Smith Hall. The Philadelphia Historical Commission approved such a permit three years ago, Cooperman said, but the University must have financial commitments lined up before the actual permit will be issued. Cooperman expressed regret about having to demolish Smith Hall. "It is an unhappy thing to tear it down, but the problematic needs for our new building make it necessary," he said. Once Smith Hall is torn down, phase one -- construction of the new building -- will begin, Cooperman said. Phase two consists of remodeling the Morgan Building and the Music Building and constructing a new wing that will connect the two buildings from the rear. The third phase will be expensive and may take a long time to construct, Cooperman said. At this stage, the University will construct an engineering-science library in Hayden Hall. The fourth and final phase of the project is the retro-renovating of space in both the engineering and chemical complexes. Because phase four is routine renovation work, its budget can be cut if the project gets too expensive. Gravina estimated that the entire project will take two years to complete.