Administrators involved with the University's international programs find themselves at a crossroads. The choice they are facing is whether to maintain their middle of the pack position or to begin the huge undertaking of becoming a leader in the internationalization of higher education. Even though breaking into the top ranks of foreign programs would take a significant push, the University won't have as far to move as most. Foreign language proficiency, which is required of most undergraduates, is a well-established program. And the University also attracts large numbers of international students to study and has been successful in inviting visiting faculty to share special skills. But other areas, administrators concede, need improvement. Many of these areas have been targeted for improvement during the last several years. One of the weak spots is the traditional study abroad program. Only 22 percent of undergraduates take advantage of opportunities for overseas studies. While this is higher than many schools, peer institutions like Dartmouth College and Stanford University have over twice as many students who study abroad. One major recent development to combat this low participation is the creation of new programs which appeal to specific groups of students or allow students to finish requirements for their degrees abroad. Many of these additions are to non-humanities programs. Students in technical or professionally-oriented programs have in the past not been likely to study abroad because of time-consuming requirements. Two notable examples are French programs in Lyon and Compiegne. In Lyon, Wharton students can take courses in international marketing which apply to their degree. Likewise, in Compiegne, Engineering students can study at one of France's top technological institutions. The new programs will likely be used as models for similar programs in other locations, officials said. Office of International Programs Director Joyce Randolph said by setting up programs specifically for the University, the faculty and the administration will have more control over the quality of the program. More difficult to solve is how to change culture so that international travel and undergraduate education seem compatible. "Eventually, it wouldn't be a paradox for a student to think, 'The semester I spent at school Y in country X was my best semester at Penn,' " Nichols predicted. Some students find it difficult to leave the University for a year or even a semester after they have friends and activities here. "One of the things we do hear from students is student life is so rich at Penn and you bond so closely with your peers that it is a hard decision to go abroad," Randolph said. But officials say that the University's recent moves have been steps in the right direction. Inclusion of a report on International Dimensions in the Five Year Plan, released in 1989, demonstrated the growing priority placed on expanding horizons beyond the borders of the U.S. The provost and the School of Arts and Sciences dean both have committees which are exploring various aspects of international programs. Introduction of SCOLA, a cable television channel which has foreign language programming, also is an opportunity for students to learn more about cultures they may not be able to visit, officials say. The choices for international programming are beginning to be made, and administrators say new programs will continue to be created, allowing students to learn about an increasingly international world.