Roger Ebert's job is safe. President Sheldon Hackney abandoned his tried and true technique of using a summer movie as the cornerstone of his Freshman Convocation address Sunday night, instead stressing the need for a pluralistic University community in response to current traumatic world events. The hour-long ceremony was marred, however, by the absence of nearly half of the the Class of 1995's 2200 freshman because of a hoax in which freshmen were told the ceremony would begin a hour late. Surrounded on stage by University administrators and faculty in their gaudy academic robes, Hackney welcomed the incoming freshmen their first of many University traditions. Hackney said after the ceremony he did not pick a summer movie as his theme because he felt it was important to explain how turbulent world events affect the University. "I didn't see a movie that allowed me to talk about that," he said. But Hackney added that "I almost named a [movie] title just to resolve office pools." Citing the disruptive repercussions of the failed Soviet coup and the ethnic strife in Yugoslavia, Hackney said nationalistic loyalties have strongly reemerged around the globe. He said problems resulting from the "paradox" of finding a balance in life between one's individual and group identity have become evident, both around the world and in West Philadelphia. Hackney said that for an individual, "confrontation with the unfamiliar and the uncomfortable is important to education," but participation in homogeneous religious and ethnic group activities also contribute to better learning. The president stressed that pluralism -- the sharing of cultural values in a manner that reinforces a common commitment to a larger group -- is the key to reconciling the paradox between the individual and group identity. Hackney concluded his address by saying despite the University's faults, it is still "a beacon . . . for society at large." Provost Michael Aiken also spoke, emphasizing that students should use the University's resources to expand their awarenesses, and that they were joining a "proud and rich" tradition. Vice Provost for University Life Kim Morrisson's speech was well received by the crowd of freshmen, as she listed some of the more interesting members of the class of 1995. Morrisson highlighted freshman who were race-car drivers, jig-saw puzzle champions, inventors, mathematicians and Soviet translators, but closed by saying that old achievements were "past history" at the University, and all the new students should strive to make their distinct mark at the University. Despite the hoax which caused about 750 students to arrive late to the ceremony, the 1500-seat auditorium was filled to brim by its finish. Students afterwards said they had enjoyed the traditional ceremony, although they said that at times they were bored. College freshman Tara Sen said she enjoyed the Convocation ceremony because "it was the first time you feel school pride." College freshman Rich Westreich said he was entertained by VPUL Morrisson's list of interesting freshmen, but complained that "the president seemed to want to get us into an academic frame of mind instead of greeting us."