Indian tradition holds that the ancient dance Bharathanathyam descended from heaven -- this weekend it arrived in West Philadelphia. Over one hundred entranced audience members watched as Shoba Sharma performed the traditional Indian dance and University lecturer Allyn Miner improvised on the sitar last Friday at the University Museum, as part of a cultural program for high school students. Declaring that she "would let the music speak for itself" Miner, who studied extensively in India, played an alap which was greeted with the silent, nodding approval of her audience and later a standing ovation. The program's goal is to provide a balance of academic lectures and cultural events provided by University faculty members. Overflowing with poise and charm, Sharma detailed the history of the Bharathanathyam, which has been preserved in "its purest, ancient form" in southern India where it was relatively unaffected by the turbulence of history. According to Sharma, Bharathanathyam is roughly the Indian equivalent to the West's classical ballet. "It is the dancer's duty to subjugate her ego," Sharma said. "And to lift herself to the level of the devine, losing herself in the art form." Elaborately decorated with painted feet, a diamond nose ring, and diamonds in her hair, Sharma correlated her movements with the narrated lines of an actual folk legend. Sitarist Miner charmed the audience with her own brand of virtuosity, performing for nearly an hour. "After studying Hindi for my language requirement in college, I went on my junior year abroad to India," said Miner, who has a Master's degree in Sitar Performance and a doctorate in musicology from the Banaras Hindu University in India. "I then received various grants which enabled me to stay over there." The special events and lectures provided by the Penn Scholars Program were chosen to enhance the students' historical perspective about modern issues, and ranged from Ancient Indian art and philosophy to science, international relations and religious and ethnic conflicts within the region. Although several students claimed the week-long program was "very intensive," they said they found it valuable and were pleased with what they had learned. "Many of us had a vague knowledge of Indian history and culture," said Mika Rao, a high school senior from Merion, "but the program has both exposed and filled a lot of gaps in my understanding of India."