In a move which will fundamentally change the fraternity social scene, the Interfraternity Council voted last night to prohibit University chapters from providing partygoers with alcohol bought with chapter funds, IFC President Bret Kinsella said last night. After the meeting, which was closed to the public, Kinsella declined to give further details about the new regulations, including how soon the new rules will go into effect. He said that he wants fraternity members to review the new "bring your own beer" policy within their chapters before its specifics are made public. Kinsella said there will be a press conference detailing the policy Monday. The restructuring of the alcohol policy comes after a discussion last weekend between the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, national fraternity officials and IFC presidents. The representatives of all 26 IFC fraternities came to campus to address discrepencies between the IFC's alcohol policy and many chapters' national regulations. OFSA and national officials told the IFC members that if they did not adopt a BYOB policy, many chapters would risk losing their insurance policies and incurring liability for accidents at parties. Kinsella announced the change in policy last night after IFC members debated for nearly three hours. Kinsella would not say if the IFC passed other regulations which members said were being discussed. Several members said the IFC was considering eliminating cover charges and requiring professional bouncers at chapter parties. During the meeting, several brothers and voting IFC members left the meeting periodically to hold heated discussions with each other and to make hasty phone calls. After almost two hours of discussion, a University Televison reporter, who is also a fraternity member, came out of the meeting to tape reports on the meeting's progress. The reporter, who requested anonymity, said that the IFC was deadlocked at that point. He said some fraternities whose national policies prohibit the chapter from buying alcohol wanted to vote against the BYOB policy. Twenty IFC fraternities hold insurance policies which prohibit alcohol purchase with chapter funds. Sixteen fraternities are covered by the Fraternity Insurance Purchasing Group, which enforces its regulations itself along with the national fraternity headquarters, according to a national fraternity risk-management specialist. Four other IFC fraternities carry similar policies. Wednesday several IFC and fraternity members said that although implementing BYOB was not guaranteed, they were not aware of any alternatives to it.