fd364197-c1d4-48c7-81f7-7455e354d1eb-sized-1000x1000

Junior wide receiver Jared Richardson was named an FCS pre-season All-American. 

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

After a remarkable breakout campaign in 2023, Penn football junior wide receiver Jared Richardson is already commanding attention heading into 2024.

On Monday, Richardson was named a Preseason All-American by FCS Football Central, an honor bestowed upon just 78 players across the FCS. Richardson was tabbed for the second team, an honor that follows his All-Ivy first team selection following last season.

Richardson exploded onto the scene last season after not recording a single catch during his freshman season. In last year’s season opener against Colgate, he led the Quakers with 62 receiving yards and a touchdown, promising a strong campaign to come. 

The Blakeslee, Pa. native continued to deliver on that promise throughout the season, finishing with 67 receptions for 788 yards and eight touchdowns. His 87.6 receiving yards per game led the Ancient Eight. Against Yale, Richardson rewrote the record books, hauling in 17 passes for 191 yards and breaking the all-time program mark for catches in a single game.

Richardson credits his breakout season to his competitive nature.

“I would say I just have that [drive] in me,” Richardson said during an appearance on the Quaker Nation podcast last fall. “If I do something, I wanna be the best at it, no matter what it is. If it’s crocheting, if it’s playing pool, I wanna be the best at it — whoever I go up against, I wanna beat ‘em.”

Penn football kicks off its season at Delaware on September 21.