nfl-minicamp

Penn football alumni Jaden Key, Jake Heimlicher, and Rory Starkey Jr. were invited to the NFL minicamp in 2024.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Three former members of Penn football are moving up in the world. 

After the conclusion of their college careers and going undrafted in the 2024 NFL Draft, three former Quakers have earned invites to attend minicamps with different NFL teams, the first step towards eventually having a chance at earning a roster spot. Defensive back Jaden Key was invited to the New York Jets' minicamp, defensive lineman Jake Heimlicher could join him in the Big Apple with the New York Giants, and wide receiver Rory Starkey Jr. received invitations from both the New England Patriots and the Green Bay Packers. 

Key was with the Quakers for the entirety of his collegiate career. After seeing some action as a freshman in 2019, he missed the 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. But, beginning in 2021, he was a regularly dominant presence on the back end of Penn's defense. He had 59 tackles in 2021, and followed it up with 38 tackles and an interception in 2022, earning him second-team All-Ivy honors. This past season, he still had 29 tackles and two interceptions, despite being limited to five starts due to an injury. 

Heimlicher also had a standout career in the Red and Blue. Across the 2021 and 2022 seasons, he racked up 16.5 sacks and 98 tackles, including 25.5 tackles for loss. He earned Honorable Mention All-Ivy in 2021, but his 2022 campaign earned significant honors, including third-team All-American, first-team All-Ivy, and finalist for the FCS Defensive Player of the Year. For this past season, Heimlicher left Franklin Field behind, transferring to UCLA for his final year of collegiate eligibility. He didn't replicate this production with the Bruins, finishing with just seven tackles, but his time with the Quakers showcased significant upside. 

Starkey also had considerable statistics as a Quaker. As a sophomore in 2019, he had 39 receptions for over 600 yards and seven touchdowns. Following the cancelled 2020 season, he had two more excellent seasons, totaling over 900 yards and being named second-team All-Ivy in 2022. This past year, he transferred to Samford, where he recorded 27 receptions for over 200 yards with the Bulldogs. 

Even though none of these former Quakers were selected in the NFL Draft, they all show plenty of promise at the next level. Time will tell if they can earn a spot on an NFL roster later this summer, but a minicamp invitation is a promising first step.