04-25-24-encampment-rick-krajewski-anna-vazhaeparambil
Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

In a statement published to state Rep. Rick Krajewski’s (D-Philadelphia) social media accounts Saturday evening, seven Philadelphia-area politicians and AAUP-Penn called on the University to refrain from taking disciplinary action against peaceful demonstrations on campus.

The statement, referencing "violent police action" taken against student and faculty protesters on college campuses nationwide, urged Penn to prevent similar violence from "being replicated here in Philadelphia."

Politicians who signed onto the statement include two who represent Penn in elected office — 2013 Engineering graduate Krajewski and Philadelphia City Councilmember Jamie Gauthier. Other signatories were Philadelphia Councilmembers At-Large Kendra Brooks and Nicolas O’Rourke, state Sen. Nikil Saval (D-Philadelphia), and state Reps. Chris Rabb (D-Philadelphia) and 2022 Nursing Ph.D. graduate Tarik Khan (D-Philadelphia).

“Many of us have visited the Penn Encampment ourselves,” the statement wrote. “We have seen organizers put significant attention toward ensuring the safety and wellbeing of all students present, including counter-protesters.”

The statement urged Penn administration not to call in law enforcement or file charges against peaceful protesters. It also urged Penn to negotiate in "good faith" with organizers.

Additionally, the statement noted the “strong precedent” for student encampments, including the encampment set up by Fossil Free Penn in 2022 calling for Penn's divestment from fossil fuels.

“Generation after generation, in times of crisis, students have been at the forefront of movements for peace and justice,” the statement wrote. “As millions of Palestinians face immense loss and violence, our students are leading the nation once again. Penn’s administrators should feel proud that their students are engaged in this thoughtful, caring, and essential work.”

Krajewski, Saval, and Khan have visited the encampment in the past several days. A representative from Gauthier’s office was at the encampment on Friday, and Krajewski said during a speech to the encampment that Brooks and O’Rourke offered their solidarity.