9058defb-07cc-44d8-904e-d3ceb0701146-sized-1000x1000

Julia Puchtler will become Penn Medicine's senior vice president and chief financial officer on July 1. 

Credit: Max Mester

The University of Pennsylvania Health System has appointed Julia Puchtler to serve as senior vice president and chief financial officer starting on July 1. 

Puchtler will succeed Keith Kasper, the CFO for the last 20 years, who recently acquired the position of executive vice president and chief administrative officer of UPHS. As senior vice president, she will be in charge of leading the entire health system’s revenue cycle, financial and budgeting operations, corporate finance, billing compliance, and supply chain and procurement operations.

“Nationwide, health care has reached an inflection point which requires us to think differently about our resources,” UPHS Chief Executive Officer Kevin Mahoney said. “Julia brings deep financial experience and strong business acumen to this role, which will help guide our organization through this rapidly changing financial landscape in a continued position of strength.”

Puchtler became vice president for financial operations and budgeting at Penn Medicine in 2015. Since 2019, she has been the chief financial officer of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, a medical campus that houses 1,083 beds and receives more than 2.2 million outpatient visits annually. 

Puchtler played a major role in developing HUP’s Pavilion by managing revenue and expense plans for inpatient, procedural, and emergency department expansions. She also helped lead Penn Medicine’s “funds flow” model approach by maintaining a financial support balance for Penn Medicine’s missions of clinical care, education, and research.

Before her involvement with Penn Medicine, Puchtler worked in healthcare assurance and advisory business services at Ernst & Young from 2001 to 2009. She then obtained senior financial positions at Trinity Health and Catholic Health East.

Puchtler earned a bachelor of science in finance from The Pennsylvania State University and a master of science in accountancy from the University of Virginia.