10-28-22-penn-by-drone-abhiram-juvvadi
Penn's campus, by drone, on Oct. 28, 2022. Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

Interim Penn President Larry Jameson shared the final reports from the University Task Force on Antisemitism and the Presidential Commission on Countering Hate and Building Community in an email to the Penn community on May 30. 

In the email, Jameson thanked “faculty scholars, students, and staff, as well as former and current Trustees” for participating in the investigations. He wrote that the task force and commission held listening sessions, reviewed emails, called in subject experts, and conducted surveys to produce the final reports, which can be found on the Task Force and Commission's websites. 

The report from the task force included several recommendations for the University and specified the timeframes for each initiative — including that the University should clarify its position on boycotting, divestment, and sanctioning.

The report from the Presidential Commission also included several recommendations, some of which are related to policies governing open expression. The group suggested that the University clarify how disciplinary policies work in conjunction with open expression, writing that “the University should circulate an accessible version of the Guidelines on Open Expression to explain the connection and relationship of the Guidelines with other Penn policies.”

Former Penn President Liz Magill announced the creation of the task force and the Commission in November 2023. The task force was part of a larger plan implemented to combat antisemitism on campus following significant donor backlash and safety concerns, while the Commission aimed to address the connections between antisemitism and other forms of hate experienced by Jewish, Palestinian, Muslim, and Arab communities.

Click below to read five takeaways from each report compiled by The Daily Pennsylvanian.