04-13-22-west-philly-oscar-vasquez
Columnist Liala Sofi encourages Penn students to get involved with the Philadelphia community. Credit: Oscar Vasquez

Every day at Penn, I’m surrounded by brilliance. Nearly everyone I meet is launching a new startup, publishing a paper in a well regarded journal, or proudly announcing a prestigious return offer, relieved that the stress of post-grad decisions is finally behind them. It’s hard not to be impressed by the sheer talent and drive that defines our campus.   

We pour countless hours into internships at top firms, research projects, and once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. We sacrifice summers, holidays, and sleep — all in pursuit of excellence. There’s no denying that we are smart, talented, and ambitious, but as we work relentlessly toward success, I find myself questioning the moral crux of our pursuits.    

What if success isn’t about what we achieve at all? Have we become so consumed by personal ambition that we’ve forgotten who it should serve? In a world obsessed with self advancement, is real success defined by what we gain or by what we give back? At what point does our pursuit of greatness become a reflection of our own selfishness?   

Perhaps it will come after your first million (or your first billion).   

This is the question that should haunt us in those quiet moments, when the buzz of ambition fades and we’re left alone with our thoughts. It should sit with us when we’re done scrolling through LinkedIn, no longer surrounded by accolades or networking events, and there’s no one left to impress but ourselves.   

We’ve convinced ourselves that the choices we’re making are the right ones. After all, who wouldn’t want a six-figure job or an impressive title of CEO? But if we’re honest, there’s a lingering doubt that maybe we’re trading long-term fulfillment for short-term validation. This isn’t an easy question to face. It’s uncomfortable, and may even have you scoffing at this article. But it’s a question that deserves our attention.   

At what point did we stop thinking about what we owe to the community that surrounds us? When was the last time you considered what you could do for the people of Philadelphia, the very city that fuels our success? Instead of tiptoeing past the homeless person outside Wawa into your Uber, when was the last time you stopped to buy them something to eat? Is it really okay to take and not give back? The question isn’t just about success — it’s about what we choose to do with it.   

Penn is notorious for having one of the most depressed student bodies among the Ivy League. But is this unhappiness of our own making? Perhaps the lack of fulfillment stems from the fact that we aren’t focusing on something larger than ourselves. We chase titles and salaries, yet many of us feel hollow and disconnected. Maybe the things we value and the people we want to impress don’t actually make our lives worth living.   

Martin Seligman, a renowned professor at Penn that's widely regarded as the father of positive psychology highlights this idea in his work: "The meaningful life is about finding a deeper sense of fulfillment by using your strengths in the service of something larger than yourself and nourishing others.”    

It’s time that more of us embraced this mindset. The first place to start? Volunteering.   

Of course, many of you are thinking, "I don’t have the time." The truth is, you do. We make time for the things we value. We carve out hours for clubs, coursework, and our social lives. So why is it so hard to make space for something that could offer even deeper fulfillment — not just for ourselves, but for others?   

The reality is that volunteering doesn’t require a huge time commitment. A few hours a month makes a difference. Research has long shown that the benefits of volunteering extend beyond the people you’re helping. It reduces stress, combats loneliness, and provides a sense of purpose that is often missing in many of our lives.   

To leave Penn without having given back to the community that we have called our home for years is a shame. We can’t justify spending years here and not stepping outside the Penn bubble to engage with local communities. If we have time to build our resumes, we have time to help the city that has allowed us to grow and succeed. If you leave Penn without having contributed even a small part of your time to Philadelphia, what will you have really gained? A degree? A fancy job title? Sure. But what about a sense of responsibility? Compassion? Perspective? If you’ve never taken the time to engage with the community that’s made your growth possible, have you truly earned the privilege that comes with a Penn education?    

Somewhere along the way, we’ve traded purpose for prestige. Status has become our obsession. Prestige is the new currency. At Penn, the social reward for securing a high-paying job offer far outweighs any recognition for time spent volunteering or giving back to the community. To leave here with nothing more than a diploma in hand and no meaningful connection to the world beyond your own goals is not just a missed opportunity — it’s a failure of character.   

I leave you with the words from “Tao Te Ching,” written by Chinese philosopher Laozi: “Heaven is everlasting and earth is enduring. The reason that they are everlasting is because they do not exist for themselves.” Just as the universe endures by serving a greater purpose, we too have a responsibility to help others and give back to our communities. We owe it to ourselves to wrestle with this before it’s too late. Because the real tragedy isn’t failing to land the perfect job or to achieve the perfect status — it’s realizing too late that we never chased what truly mattered.   

Local organizations where you can volunteer today, and a volunteer match tool

1. Nationalities Service Center Philadelphia
  2. DREAM Philly
  3. HIAS Philadelphia
  4. Philabundance
  5. Project Home
  6. More…

LIALA SOFI is a College senior studying neuroscience from Roanoke, Va. Her email address is lsofi@sas.upenn.edu.