As a prideful energy returns to Philadelphia for the Eagles’ first home game of the season this past Monday, it’s only fitting for the Penn community to ride the wave of excitement and send some love to its alumni in the NFL.

Justin Watson, Wide Receiver, Kansas City Chiefs 

Watson graduated from Penn in 2018 and left with many accolades to his name. The Bridgeville, Pa. native is a three-time first team All-Ivy League honoree, two-time Ivy League champion, and still holds Penn’s career records in receptions, receiving yards, and touchdowns

It’s fitting that one of the highest profile Penn football alumnus is also on one of the highest profile NFL teams. Watson is in his third season with the Chiefs and the second year of his contract with Kansas City. The three-time Super Bowl champion is coming off his best NFL season in receiving yards that culminated in, of course, a Super Bowl championship. With fellow wide receiver Marquise “Hollywood” Brown out for the regular season after a shoulder injury in the preseason, Watson will have to step up in a big way for the Chiefs this year. 

The Chiefs won their first two games against the Baltimore Ravens and Cincinnati Bengals and now look forward to facing the Atlanta Falcons this Sunday for their Week 3 matchup. 

Greg Van Roten, Guard, New York Giants 

The 2012 Wharton graduate collected numerous awards during his time representing the Red and Blue. As a junior, Van Roten anchored the top rushing, scoring, and total offense in the Ivy League, and he finished his career as a two-time Ivy League champion. 

The Rockville Centre, N.Y. native is an NFL veteran and has hopped around the league in his 12 years and counting. This season is his first with the New York Giants, after one of his best NFL seasons last year with the Las Vegas Raiders under offensive line coach Carmen Bricillo, who also makes the move to New York this season. After a rough training camp, the Giants will hope that Van Roten and company can finally make something click after 12 years of offensive line rebuilding. 

The Giants lost both of their first two games, and therefore hope to end this early slump when they visit the Cleveland Browns this Sunday. 

Kevin Stefanski, Coach, Cleveland Browns

Speaking of the Browns, this Philadelphia native and 2004 College graduate had a quieter Penn career as a defensive back, but today makes as many headlines as other alumni. The two-time All-Ivy selection enters his fourth year coaching for Cleveland. In his four years at the “Dawg Pound,” Stefanski has collected NFL Coach of the Year honors twice — first in 2020 and again last season. The Browns are coming off their second winning campaign under Stefanski and hope to continue that trend this year — even with some injuries plaguing the first two games of the year. 

The Browns lost their first game against the Dallas Cowboys but rebounded and won their second game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. They are favored in their upcoming game against the New York Giants this Sunday at home.