wesley-ng-photo-from-penn-athletics

Women’s rowing head coach Wesley Ng will leave the Red and Blue for the University of Virginia (Photo from Penn Athletics).

In a shocking move, Penn women’s rowing head coach Wesley Ng will depart from the program to become the next head coach of the University of Virginia women’s rowing team. 

Describing the decision as “bittersweet,” Ng commented on his departure in his formal resignation in conjunction with Penn Athletics.

“I want to extend my deepest gratitude to the student-athletes, their families, and my fellow coaches for allowing me to play a part in this meaningful effort,” Ng said. “Your dedication, hard work, and passion for making our boats go fast together will be a common thread that binds you together for years to come.”

Hired in 2015, Ng’s tenure at Penn has been nothing short of successful. Prior to Ng’s time at Penn, the program had never qualified for the NCAA championships as a team. Under Ng’s supervision, the program has competed in the last three NCAA championships. 

At the conclusion of the 2023 season, Ng was named the Ivy League and Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association D1 Region I Coach of the Year. 

In 2024, women’s rowing finished in 10th place in the NCAA championships, scoring 77 points across their three boats competing. Both the Second Varsity Eight and Varsity Four boats outperformed their pre-championship predictions in this regatta.

Ng will be taking the helm from recently retired Virginia rowing head coach Kevin Sauer. 

Sauer coached the Cavaliers for the past 29 years. Overseeing the program's transition from the club level to varsity status, he has become a legend in Charlottesville, Va. Sauer has led the program to two NCAA championships, nine NCAA team championships, and a staggering 22 ACC championships during his tenure as head coach. 

In his retirement statement, Sauer stated, “[Coaching for Virginia] has been an incredible ride and I have enjoyed almost every minute.”

Ng inherits a program that has become accustomed to winning — a drastically different situation than what he encountered when he joined Penn in 2015.

In the Penn Athletics statement, T. Gibbs Kane, Jr. W’69 Director of Athletics and Recreation Alanna Wren commented on Ng’s departure, stating, “[Ng] is leaving Penn women's rowing in a better place than he found it, and the program's infrastructure, including the renovated Burk-Bergman Boathouse, will make this an appealing opportunity for the next leader. I wish Wes and his family nothing but the best of luck in his next chapter in Charlottesville.”

Penn Athletics will conduct an immediate search for the next head coach of women’s rowing.