62f22dd6-1c89-4d3a-b600-9afeeb1dc298-sized-1000x1000

Penn Medicine and the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia recently announced their decision to phase out usage of desflurane in anesthesia due to its environmental impact. 

Credit: Mehak Dhaliwal

Penn Medicine recently announced that it is phasing out desflurane, a potent greenhouse gas used in anesthesia.

Desflurane has been a preferred anesthetic gas because it allows patients to recover quickly, typically within minutes after discontinuation. However, the gas stays in the atmosphere for about 14 years, contributing significantly to greenhouse gas emissions.

Recognizing the urgent need for environmental stewardship, institutions like Penn Medicine have made a decisive move by eliminating desflurane in favor of sevoflurane, which not only has a significantly shorter atmospheric life of just over a year, but also is less likely to cause nausea and airway irritation in patients.

The transition to sevoflurane is part of a broader strategy to reduce emissions. Penn Medicine has committed to major sustainability initiatives, including a 25-year solar energy contract expected to cover 70% of its energy needs and save millions of dollars in the long term.

This switch supports the national Health Sector Climate Pledge, which calls for splitting emissions in half by 2030 and achieving net zero emissions by 2050.

“Of course, it’s the right thing to do,” said Greg Evans, the corporate director of sustainability for the University of Pennsylvania Health System, to The Philadelphia Inquirer. “Being environmentally conscious doesn’t have to cost money. It can actually be a significant savings.”

The University recently finalized a 25-year solar contract that is set to provide 70% of the energy for its Philadelphia hospitals and buildings and save even more money.

These changes extend beyond just switching anesthetic gases: hospitals are also optimizing their operational efficiencies, like adjusting air-filtration systems to be off when not in use and reducing medical waste. These measures are crucial in cutting down the carbon footprint of medical facilities.

The drive to eliminate desflurane also showcases a shift in medical practice towards more sustainable options without compromising patient care.