01232012_fratbidnight017
Fraternity Bid Night 2012 Credit: Muyi Li , Muyi Li

Less drinking and more academics was the message of last night’s fraternity bid night for incoming Greeks.

More than 500 students filled the Palestra Monday night to receive bids from fraternities.

The students — who were all informed before arriving at the Palestra that they had received bids — were handed blue slips on which they indicated whether they would accept or decline their bid offer.

This season’s rush cycle saw 762 registered rushes — which, according to College junior and incoming Interfraternity Council President David Shapiro, is “roughly about 200 more than normal.”

“We usually see these numbers remaining the same or increasing by a percentage point or two,” said Scott Reikofski, director of the Office of Student Affairs/Fraternity Sorority Life, who was “very pleased” with the increase this year.

Shapiro added that 575 bids were issued this year — about a 7-percent increase from last year’s total, he said.

In a speech, Wharton senior and outgoing IFC President Harry Heyer congratulated the students on receiving bids and thanked the outgoing IFC board, which he said was “absolutely fantastic.”

Heyer reminded the bids that one of the things on which they should focus is maintaining a strong academic standing.

“Take your studies seriously,” Heyer told those in attendance. “Being at Penn is an opportunity.”

This year’s bid night also featured a keynote address from T.J. Sullivan — a writer and former fraternity member who has spoken at colleges and universities nationwide.

Among other things, Sullivan encouraged the students to be mindful of their drinking habits, as well as those of their fellow fraternity brothers.

“We have the ability to affect our brothers’ decisions,” he said. “When you join a fraternity, you are joining that fraternity for life.”

College freshman Teja Alapati, who received a bid from Alpha Chi Rho, his top choice, appreciated Sullivan’s message.

“I think Penn fraternities are generally in control, but advice is always useful, especially for me since this is my first experience with Greek life,” he said.

Heyer agreed that the keynote speech was effective, adding that Sullivan “hit some strong notes” with respect to values like brotherhood.

For Wharton freshman Alexander de Rafols, who received a bid from his top choice, Kappa Sigma, Monday night marked the end of a tiring — yet rewarding — process.

“It was really exciting going through the rush process, and I had a great time,” he said.

However, the increased total of registered rushes this year meant that some were disappointed when it came time to offer bids.

A College freshman who was not offered a bid to Kappa Sigma said he was “really surprised” when he learned of the news.

“Kappa Sigma was all or nothing for me,” said the freshman, who wished to remain anonymous because he said he is still in discussions with the fraternity. “Even if the other fraternities had offered me bids, I wouldn’t have accepted.”

Others, like Engineering freshman Karan Sharma, dropped out during the rush process after realizing that Greek life was “not for me.”

“It just doesn’t match with my idea of fun,” he said. “Also, being an international student, I don’t think my parents are really into the whole Greek life thing.”

The approximate 200-student gap between the number of students registered and the number of bids offered during fraternity rush mirrored the approximate 175-student gap in sorority recruitment.

The night was a happy one for the students who did receive bids, however.

Wharton freshman Spencer Kulcsar, who received a bid from Phi Delta Theta, his top choice, said he is looking forward to joining his new fraternity.

“Overall, it’s just a great feeling,” he said.