Penn is once again leading the pack in green power consumption. In a ranking released by the Environmental Protection Agency on Oct. 5, Penn ranks first among universities in the purchase of renewable energy credits, and 22nd among all purchasers nationwide.

Renewable energy credits, which are generated based on the amount of megawatt hours that a wind farm produces, fund the development of new wind power across the country.

“It’s a great confirmation of Penn’s commitment and our success in going green and being a leader in showing how great academic institutions can also push energy conservation forward,” Penn President Amy Gutmann said.

The ranking — which Penn has topped for the past several years — accompanies a campus-wide focus on sustainability initiatives. “If all we did was buy RECs, it wouldn’t be a coherent strategy. Our biggest effort, and the most important thing we do, is energy conservation,” Environmental Sustainability Coordinator Dan Garofalo said. According to the EPA, Penn has reduced peak electric energy demand by 18 percent over the past few years.

“Universities are natural for … making a commitment to reducing fossil fuel use because they have an educational mission that encompasses future generations and the environment,” Garofalo said. Carnegie Mellon, Utah, Oregon State and Drexel universities rounded out the top five on the list.

Gutmann also praised Penn’s “cost-conscious” approach to sustainability. “We’re actually showing that you can save money and still make a big contribution to the preservation of the environment,” she said, giving the example of Penn Park’s state-of-the-art green lighting system, which saves 300,000 watts of energy per hour.

“We couldn’t do this as effectively as we’ve done it without the strong support of the student body as well,” she added. “It’s not only my team and I who are passionate about this, it’s students who are passionate about this, as well. This makes it a true team effort.”

“The ranking is a reward and an incentive for the administration to keep pushing for sustainability measures,” said College senior Sam Bieler, director of the Housing, Sustainability, and Facilities Committee of the Undergraduate Assembly. “We can’t rest on our laurels – we want to keep securing the title.”

While the UA committee is not directly involved with the purchase of renewable energy credits, it advocates for the implementation of environmentally-friendly practices on campus, such as installing motion sensor lights to conserve energy in buildings. The committee is also developing the Green Campus Partnership Student Association, which will act as an umbrella group and help organize the efforts of environmental organizations on campus.

“With the combination of the high [EPA] ranking and the development of the organized student group, it’s a good time for the future of sustainability at Penn,” Bieler said.