11072011_jamesfranco184
SPEC brings James Franco to speak at Penn. Credit: Sophia Ciocca , Sophia Ciocca

On Sunday afternoon, Oscar-nominated actor James Franco strode onto the stage of Irvine Auditorium as over a thousand Penn students greeted him with enthusiastic cheers.

The Social Planning and Events Committee brought the prominent film star to Penn as this year’s annual Connaissance fall speaker, with Cinema Studies lecturer Meta Mazaj moderating the talk. Franco, who has starred in movies such as Spiderman, Pineapple Express and 127 Hours, spoke about his devotion to both the acting craft and his enthusiasm for learning.

“I have a lot of interests,” Franco explained as he revealed his passions for not just acting, but also for writing, literature, painting and filmmaking.

After taking a hiatus from his acting career, Franco graduated from the University of California at Los Angeles as an English major. He went on to simultaneously study at Columbia and New York universities and Brooklyn College. Currently, Franco is also earning his Ph.D. in English at Yale University and teaching a course at NYU’s Tisch School for the Arts.

“I wanted to go back and really give my other interests as much consideration as the acting,” he said about his decision to return to academia.

Franco also gave students an inside look into the world of acting, especially when he described the challenges of portraying real people in films.

Of portraying iconic characters such as James Dean and Allen Ginsburg in his films, Franco said, “Generally there is a greater sense of responsibility. You want to get it right.”

Citing a Trivial Pursuit quiz question to illustrate his point, he asked the crowd, “Which actor stopped talking to his family and friends for three or forth months and smoked two packs of cigarettes a day to play the role of James Dean?”

“It’s me,” he said to a laughing audience.

SPEC Connaissance Co-Chairman Carson Ley was happy to see Penn’s excitement over their choice of keynote speaker. “We were really surprised that the event sold out as fast as it did,” the College junior explained, adding that all 1,100 tickets sold out in less than 24 hours.

SPEC Connaissance Co-Director and Wharton junior Crystal Lu was similarly pleased. “I am thrilled with how it turned out,” she wrote in an email. “I know James Franco enjoyed the event and enjoyed the attention he got from all the students after the event.”

Overall, Ley thought the event was a success in that it brought up important themes relating to education and careers, although he added that Franco “wasn’t as articulate as other speakers we’ve had.”

College freshman Ivan Moutinho was particularly inspired by Franco’s passion for education. “Even though he has this huge acting career, I appreciate how he wants more, and is still pursuing his other interests with his whole academic background,” he said. “It gave me a more human view of an actor that I love.”

Wharton senior Cassy Ma also thought Franco came across as friendly and down-to-earth. “He was really nice,” she said. “At the end, all of the students swarmed the front of the stage, and he took the time to take pictures with them and sign autographs.”

Before the event drew to a close, Franco emphasized the importance of following your own passions, whether you go into film, writing or any other field.

“In the end, if you really care about what you do, you should do the projects that speak to you.”