Hours after the men’s soccer team arrived in San Diego this weekend, power was lost throughout the region.

Though the lights came back late Thursday night, the Red and Blue were never able to turn it on for their two games.

Penn (2-2) lost both games in the Courtyard Marriot San Diego Central tournament, falling 1-0 to San Diego (3-2) on Friday night and 2-0 to San Diego State (3-1-1) on Sunday afternoon.

For most of Friday’s match, though, it appeared the Quakers were in control, as the Red and Blue outshot San Diego, 13-6.

“Friday was a good performance,” coach Rudy Fuller said. “In nine out of 10 days, we win that game.”

The Quakers’ only defensive lapse came late in the first half, when San Diego maintained possession in Penn’s third of the field for a three-minute stretch, inevitably resulting in a cross from junior Christian Duke that senior Charles Blase finished into the right corner of the net.

But it wasn’t as if Penn didn’t come close to tying the match. Senior Christian Barreiro’s free kick in the 19th minute hit off the post, while sophomore Stephen Baker attempted six shots over the course of the game.

“It’s still early in the season,” sophomore Stephen Baker said. “We still have a long way to go.”

On Sunday, Penn could not match the intensity it played with two days before.

“We weren’t sharp at the start,” Fuller said. “We were reactionary, rather than proactive.”

The Aztecs outshot the Red and Blue, 5-1, in the first half and were able to control the pace of the game.

In terms of scoring, it was a one-man show for San Diego State. In the 15th minute, junior Jose Altamirano scored an easy goal after freshman goalkeeper Max Kurtzman collided with a defender.

Twelve minutes later, Altamirano struck again, placing a well-hit ball into the upper-left corner, just beyond Kurtzman’s reach.

“We weren’t good enough defensively,” Fuller said. “You always have to be ready to compete.”

Penn woke up in the second half, though, and put six shots on goal. The Red and Blue’s best opportunity came on back-to-back corners in the 76th minute, which allowed the Quakers to apply constant pressure.

“We needed to come out harder to begin with,” Baker said. “Once you dig yourself a hole, it’s hard to climb out.”

The teams observed a moment of silence, commemorating the 10-year anniversary of Sept. 11.

“The fact that we’re out here, able to play the game we love, speaks volumes,” Baker said.