Students over 21 years of age will soon have a new place to buy their wine: Fresh Grocer.

According to the company’s system manager CJ Burns, the store at 4001 Walnut St. plans to house a self-service wine vending machine, which he estimates will arrive in a month.

The store received a permit on Sept. 16 from the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board to acquire the machine.

While it will be inside the store, the kiosk will be completely operated by the PLCB — not Fresh Grocer.

Currently, it is illegal for grocery and convenience stores to sell wine, beer or liquor.

“They’re going to supply it, they’re going to control it,” Burns said, in reference to the PLCB.

He added that the machine will be similar to the Redbox movie-rental kiosk that is currently in Fresh Grocer’s lobby, as customers will pay for their wine directly in the machine.

In order to buy a bottle, customers will need to scan their driver’s licenses to prove they are of legal drinking age. A video image of the buyer at the kiosk will be matched to the photo on the identification card by a remotely located PLCB employee as an additional means of preventing underage drinking.

This measure should allow students from out of state and possibly from other countries to use the machine.

The buyer will then blow into a tube from up to 12 inches away without making contact. The system prevents consumers with a breath-alcohol level of .02 or higher from purchasing wine.

According to a press release from the PLCB, the kiosks will serve up to 53 different wines.

The kiosks were introduced June 23 in a pilot program which placed the machines in two Pennsylvania grocery stores.

The machines are part of an effort from the PLCB to increase convenience for customers. However, they are still subject to the same restrictions as liquor stores, which are not open 24 hours per day.

Burns said he believes the machines will help the store’s sales, as it helps the store “increase variety.”

While Fresh Grocer now has a permit for the kiosk, Burns said there are no plans to serve alcoholic beverages at the new sushi bar or other freshly prepared food areas of the store.